1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led's For Sander

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by TazLandscapes, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

I own a Snowex Vmaxx8500 Sander and i want to put a couple of led flashers on the back of it.I have heard good things about the whelen tir3 lights but i do not know how bright they are or what type of mount to use. on the back.

http://www.centralparts.com/ProductDetails15994.aspx

Here is a link to the sander that i have.The back part of what i keep talking about is the black metal frame part that you can see..

any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I use the Nova slultra - very bright, slim. I'm very impressed and they are cheap in cost.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

The tir3's are very bright....that's all i can really answer for you out of your questions!!

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Beware of the LED's. The reason they last so long and use so little juice is because they don't create heat so they in turn will not melt the snow off of them rendering them useless in a lot of different weather events.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have the code 3 3 up optix in my grille of my truck. WOW! Is all I can say. Those are very bright. They are a little more than the tir 3's but they are just as bright. I paid $99.99 for mine, each, or something like that. Check with lshlights.net or sirennet.com.

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Mike
    I install a set on my Snowex 8000. I used the Whelen tir3 and had good luck with them. I would use them again, as a mater of fact I will be installing a set on my new spreader this fall.

Regards Mike

07 GMT 900 led resized.jpg

7. TazLandscapes

thanks alot for the help guys i will probably buy a set in the next few weeks..Is there a special mount that you have to use.and I want to put these on a quick connect like a 4 wire trailer plug will some thing like that work or should i use something else..

thanks Again
    Mike xysport :waving:

8. flykelley

Hi Mike
    I had mine wired to a packard weatherproof conector. I would put the spreader in the bed, and just plug in the power connection. I had both my TIRs and work lights wired up and mounted on the spreader frame.

Regards Mike

9. TazLandscapes

Hey Thanks alot Flykelly for the help is there a website out there that i can find those weatherproof connectors.I have liikde every where and cannot find them.

Thanks
    Mike

10. flykelley

Yes there is a website. It happens to be close to but they do ship them.
    www.electerm.com/packard.html

1-800-549-2257

Regards Mike

11. scottL

Good point. This would have been my first season with the led light bar. I've seen them on cop cars and village trucks for years now - they must somehow get by with the winter build up issue. However, I did contact Code 3 and this is their response.....

"...The LED's do emit a certain amount of heat, but nothing like a standard rotator module. As for snow accumulation, they are at the mercy of certain acts of nature beyond our control.

Regards,
    [name with held]

ode 3, Product Service Representative (Technical Service)
    smprince@code3pse.com
    (314) 426-2700, Extension 1905
    FAX (314) 429-2962
    Technical Service Direct Line (314) 996-2800
    ....."

As an experiment I've been playing with and researching different ideas for defrosting the lightbar. So, far the only workable and cheap idea is actually to fit two amber turn signal bulbs into the case to generate heat. It looks fine and fits - so far, it does raise the temp and there appears to be no issues with the led's. However, if anyone has an idea I would be interested in hearing it.

12. flykelley

Hi Scott
    Snow build up on a LED light is not a problem. I have a show me led bar on my truck for two years now, and the only time I have had to remove the snow is when I first head out. Even if you had to do it once or twice during a big storm it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a LED bar.

Regards Mike

13. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I tried the LED's on one of my sanders and they were horrible when it came to snowdust building up on them. I put them on to make it brighter and safer in storms and it had the exact opposite effect. Maybe the mini flasher ones are different but that's a lot of coin for maybe.

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yeah I would just go and dust off the top of the truk when you first head out and then every now and then I would check it. You know when you get out to streach and what not, take a leak and stuff.

15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I use the 911EP LED Stars on the back of mine. Work great and a pair is about $100.

16. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

Leds

Whelen has some of the best LEDs out there in terms of lights for the back of oyur sander go with linear leds not directional, the linears are more visable from side angles and are just as bright, some of the coolest lights i have seen latley are made by Lightning-X, there extreme series is awsome. http://www.lightningxproducts.com/

17. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I spray Fluid Film on a rag and wipe down all my light lenses (Except for headlights).

Keeps the snow from sticking for the most part.

18. TazLandscapes

Hey gmcsierra1500. I like those Lightning X Products. I am going to get there corner strobes setup in a couple weeks.I seen them at a lighting dealer up here and they are bright.

Mike

19. scottL

Nova strobe and led's. This is what I have used and never a fault. I also use rainX on the lightbars - it seems to help.

20. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member