1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LEDs between tailgate and bumper

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ToddM NJ, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ToddM NJ

ToddM NJ Member

Has anyone put lights between the tailgate and bumper? I cannot see backing up and need more lights. I want to put them between them. Any help and pictures would be great.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They'd have to be fairly small. It's not a whole lotta room in there

3. ToddM NJ

ToddM NJ Member

Yeah I know. Just want to keep it concealed and have come on with my back up lights.

4. Feniex apollo will fit there. And have two functions so you can use one as back up and the other as warning

5. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Another option is a Back-Up Buddy it fits in your trailer hitch or if you already have use your hitch they make a bolt on version.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have put a few sets on trucks for the kids in the neighborhood.
    they are for looks only, they ain't worth a damn as reverse lights.

7. ToddM NJ

ToddM NJ Member

Which lights are these?

8. woody617

woody617 Member
    from pa

I put a set of rigid dully under bumper . Those things are very bright and hidden very well . They go on in reverse also put a 3 way switch inside truck so I can manually turn on or off or let the reverse gear put them on . They work awesome . They are only 3 inch wide .

9. ToddM NJ

ToddM NJ Member

Woody do you have pictures?

10. woody617

woody617 Member
    from pa

If you look for a thread called strobesnmore vrs rigid I have pics there of what I did . I love my rigid dully they are hidden away under my bumper and work great

11. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Personally I would go with a larger light flood light under or in the bumper. Any light you put between the tailgate and bumper is not going to give you enough light for that, however it is a decent spot to put warning lights. I have no doubt that Feniex Cobras would fit there, but honestly I'm not sure how great they would work for backup lights. I'm not convinced the Apollo would fit there.

12. ToddM NJ

ToddM NJ Member

Scared to put under the bumper and knock it off. That's why I am trying to figure out what to get and where to put it. Woods placement is awesome and so clean too

13. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

Why not put them on top of the bed rail in the back? They have a cut out on both sides so it shouldn't be too difficult.

14. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i have them under bumper welded to the sides of the trailer hitch on 2 trucks tucked up well but get good light out put and no problems in 4 + years on 2 trucks. also have them mounted to the bottom of the bumper infront of the trailer hitch and they also work well. i will post pics for you later

15. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I have Strobesnmore E6 Minis set to steady burn. They are not designed for long burn time on steady but since it's just reverse they work great. Plus being mounted to metal it helps with heat buildup.

16. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] They are soundoff 1400 led lights

17. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Not sure the brand but they work well

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hope that's not the gnd that's screwed to the trailer hitch.

19. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I mounted Whelen Ions set on steady burn and wired them into the backup lights. They are super small and bright as hell. I can now see backing up in any weather condition. They work GREAT !!!