1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led work lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Aug 14, 2010.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

2. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I used Sound Off 55 watt LED on my old Ford. The only thing that was difficult about the led was that they don't melt snow, so you have to clean them off sometimes to keep the light at its full power. Never used those particular ones but i know the Sound Off ones where great!!

3. carver60

carver60 Senior Member

+1, I use the Sound Off 500 Lumen LED floodlight on my ATV for backing up, it works awesome. I am actually going to put two 1000 lumens on the front and one 1000 on the rear. For LED's, they work amazingly, and the only issue is, like you said, the lack of heat generation allowing snow to build up on them.

4. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I have the same ones you are looking at. I believe they are 500 lumen. They are on the sides of my Truckcraft spreader. They work well for seeing the spread pattern and also for backing up. That is a fair price, about what I paid. Have only had them one season, but have not had any issues with snow build-up on the lens. I would recommend them. Didn't use the "hoods" that came with them.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Nice responses guys. Can one of you post a link to your led work lights you use. Either Bill or carver60. Thanks.

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Its a good thought, but 1 I don't have anywhere to mount this. And 2, with capability of both wings being out at once on my ebling it is going to be easier to just flip a switch and have them both turn on and be right there. Those are very handy, just not for me with this application.

8. carver60

carver60 Senior Member

9. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

how well are these compared to a standard 55 watt??

11. carver60

carver60 Senior Member

Never compared, but these lights are alot more whiter, making it appear a lot brighter than halogen lights. I would say they are brighter.

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I've never used led work lights before. The only issuse I can see with them is snow and ice buildup. Only one way to find out. Keep the input coming to guys.

13. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I think a lot of it has to do with convenience, no relay just hook up and go. Plus you don't have to worry about the chance of bulbs burning out. The SoundOff ones are very heavy duty build with a nice aluminum case and also very heavy duty. I backed into a few snow piles last year and they mount aloud it just to fold back and not case any damage!! I like them for reverse lights because all you have to do is tap them into the reverse circuit and your done. I am thinking of ordering two of the 1500 watt ones for the back of my truck, one on a switch and one for the reverse light!!