1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED Work Lights - Quality

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by AccuCon, Dec 19, 2014.

1. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Ok, I have searched and searched for anything about good quality LED work lights.

I have gone through a few over the years and I'm getting sick of replacing them...Either they just burn out, lose a diode, or fill up with water (not ever being submerged).

I have used Ecco (lasted a year) - I do have one still functioning fine. However trying to warranty them is pretty much impossible...​

I have bought them off eBay (lasted 2 months to a year)​

Thankfully the ones that only lasted 2 months I got a complete refund including shipping both ways. I am now ready to lay down some coin on quality lights, however I want them to last longer then a year. Funny all these lights say "mining equipment" I highly doubt it if they cant even last on a plow/work truck...

I see a lot of you guys have run the Rigid Industries LED work lights, how well do they hold up over time?

For the life of me I can not find any other name brand manufactures...I am very skeptical now after my experience with four different sets of LED work lights...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I don't own any rigid industries lights, but from what I have read, they are the best of the best. They are crazy expensive though, but you get what you pay for. If I only had one truck that I personally plowed with, I would go with rigid lights. However, theres no way I'm spending that kind of money on every one of my trucks. Even the strobesnmore led work lights are pretty expensive compared to what I buy on eBay. I bought few sets of 27W 9LED lights on eBay for around $15 each including shipping. So far they have lasted just fine, except one that has a few LED's out. The eBay seller I bought them from sent me a replacement light without question. I have a set of them on my backrack that are 3+ years old now. You can buy 5-6 lights on Ebay for less than the cost of 1 rigid light. I just ordered 4 of them the other day for around the same cost as 1 from strobesnmore.

3. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Thats what I have been doing and now its almost the cost of a set of Rigids...Its almost like at what point do you stop buying disposable...I just dont want to lay out the coin for Rigids for them to last just as long as the 60 dollar pair off ebay...

Like I said not all of the cheapos I got off eBay fail...Usually just one of the pair...

Im still searching to see if there is anything other than rigid for high quality, long lasting, beat the snot out of, and keep shinning light!

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I bought all mine through DDM tuning online. They are reasonably priced and frankly it's a light. It's gonna get abused on a plow truck, keep it as cheap as you can. At 1 point they had a lifetime warrantee, after 3 seasons I removed mine with a couple diodes out and sent it back to them, they tried to say sorry 1 year, but I copied and pasted their ad from online and voila they warranteed it, (and changed the ad.)
    Mine are mounted right in the slop so there is no way I will spend big bucks on fancy lights and the light output from these is great.

5. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

So just every year spend 50 bucks on new lights? Well I suppose I don't have to buy them in pairs...

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

.I just dont want to lay out the coin for Rigids for them to last just as long as the 60 dollar pair off ebay...

Really... have you looked at them, and on their website?. Lifetime warranty for anything

7. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

No I didnt...I only stated I have searched and searched...

Looking at there website really doesn't tell me much other then sales information, and what they want you to know about there product...Is the warranty that easy to get???Lots of places offer warranties and then when you go to get them warrantied its a huge pain in the ass and not worth it...

I want to hear from guys that have had them mounted in the slop for more then a year and are still running fine...

Thanks for such valuable insight though ;)

8. dieselss

Ask old doggy about his
    As a side note.....why would anyone mount them in the "slop"? That's just not a smart idea

9. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I mount mine under the rear bumper...

Much like every other truck Ive seen, including town and state...If they are IP67 rated shouldn't be an issue...Since they can be submerged underwater...Plus if they are vibration isolated drivers/diodes...again non issue...

Thing is lots say this but not many live up to it...

10. Mr.Markus

You're right. No idea what I'm doing.

11. dieselss

Never said you didn't. Said it's not smart. Let's buy a light, and mount it right where it's gunna get all that nasty slush bombarded on it all the time.
    Why not try and mount them in a way so that don't happen.

12. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Or find a light that can take the abuse...Unlike what many of these claim...

Under the bumper is a pretty safe spot, though...And it spreads the light down low and out right where I want it so it doesn't glare off the white stuff!

Another thing is wattage apparently most of these claim one thing and are actually a lot less powerful...

I guess Rigid Industries are the go to...Just looking for other options

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have several different types on my truck. By far my Rigid flush mounts that are cut in to my rear bumper are used the most. They are my only reverse lights. Going on 4 years old, been rear ended twice and still work like new

Best couple hundred I've ever spent.

image.jpg

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I also have these as work lights

image.jpg

15. Mr.Markus

2 diodes on a $27 2100 lumen led light mounted in the slop is pretty good IMO. I'm pretty sure the slop had nothing to do with it, just cheap lights which is why I bought them for where they were going.

[​IMG]

16. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Yup just bought some more $22 ones...Just getting sick and tired of swapping LEDs...They never break in the summer when its warm and dry!

I would like some Rigid Industry ones at some point....But other things are higher on the priority list

17. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

Nice set up!

18. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

Picture is of the old truck, but everything went onto the new ones just like that.

Have had the LED work/back up lights for 2 years, no problems. Have them hook up to up-fitter #2

Got them here!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ESAZHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also in circle ones too.

19. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Which Ecco lights are you running? I have 4 different styles I use on different trucks and have had no problems. I buy them here locally from an Ecco dealer so warranty is not a problem

20. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

The Ecco E92007...

One has held up fine and is going on its third season. However another one only made it through 1 season...I currently have the still functioning one on my sander and it is fine...

The warranty had to go through Ecco and I gave up after email and phone call circles...

Seems that its just the luck of the draw with these work lights unless you shell out the cash for Rigid Industry ones

It seems that most of these are no name brand LED lights all shipped in from china so QC is all over the place. I was trying to find a reputable name brand at a reasonable price...So far just Rigid Industries is the only ones I can see that offer that

~edit

Thats also another thing I have noticed they dont seem to fail in pairs and it is very random...I mean if these lights are on loaders, skidders, and excavators I would assume they see just as harsh conditions as on a plow truck...

Does anyone know what OEMs like Cat or John Deere use?