1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED vs. STROBE lightbar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I need to purchase a lightbar to mount on my backrack.. someone on here offered me there SHO ME 11.1200.000 low-profile LED light bar.

How do the LED's compare to strobes? Any major differences in brightness or anything? Does anyone use the lightbar above?
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I dont know about the above lightbar but in general the led lightbars are much brighter and draw much less amps. Only problem with some led bars are if you catch them from the side they can be hard to see.
  3. ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Member

I hace a Whelen Edge 9000 8 Strobe bar with front floods, alley lighrs, and rear work lights, the bar is awesome but half the time i need to run the strobes on low power, (which is still insanely bright) otherwise the light reflects off the falling snow and can really mess with you when you've been up for 30 hours plowing. In my oppinion, going too bright can blind people around you and do more harm than good because it is really hard to see and is distracting. Make sure you have lights than people can see on all sides of the truck, but don't go too overkill.
  4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

All I can tell you is I cannot take roof mounted strobes in a snow storm. The reflection back from the falling snow gives me a huge headache.....Rob
  5. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

regular strobes blind you during a snow storm as said above.. now our local f.d just purchased new busses with led lights one them and man are they bright. but they are not flash type anoying....not sure about in a snow storm but i like the led;s just see if there is an option for front shutoff. i know most strobe bars do have that.

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i've run LEDs for 2 years now and they are bright. Less draw too. As far as strobes bouncing of snow last year i turned off my strobes (hideaways) and ran with Leds they don't bounce off the snow as bad as strobes. IMO i would go with the LED bar, i think you will like it more in the end.
  7. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Ive got both and cant wait to try them on the trucks, The led definatly draws less amps and is a smaller, more concealed bad(hard to see when off). The strobe, if something happens to it, you can repair it(strobes, lenses, etc) I dont know how the repairs are if you break something.
  8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

I think strobes are brighter at night, but the problem is the flash can drive ya nuts

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

my streethawk with rotaters is the best it is so bright and gives lots of warning. :waving:
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer the corner strobes, they are mounted in pre-existing lights and the bulbs are out of sight until you turn them on.
  11. ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Member

On my Whelen I have the ability to run just the back of the bar, just the front, or front and back at the same time, and also with the high and low output. You can give your eyes a break from the strobe action and the bar is still really bright just with one side on. If you can get a strobe bar with these options, (most Whelen EDGE bars, i think) you should be pretty happy with it. Don't get me wrong, LED bars are awesome, but I just can't bring my self to spend $1500 on em yet. I'm into my bar right now for about $500 with new lenses, upgraded 55w front floods, alleys, and rear work lights and I couldn't be happier.
  12. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

i have seen many of these setup's being as my father is a police officer. in my experience the rotators are the way to go the l.e.d while they may look nice they are a "static" light source they don't have a pearcing light. strobes are OK, but when a led is flashing behind you you havta look for it but with a rotator it grabs ur attention. i use a full size tow truck light bar with dot stop tail turn light and a traffic stick. if you need a good place to look at lights try www.galls.com
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  13. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Good and bad with both,I havent run leds yet but the only negative I have heard is that they dont heat up, so the snow is more likely to stick on them unlike conventional lights which kind of melt themselves clean to a point??
    I've had many strobes, not cheap ones either, they can be finicky but overall I've had good luck with halogen strobes.
    LEDS draw allot less which means your charging system will love you.
    I know what you are saying about too bright,I saw one of the guys with the newer style high tech bulbs and they almost sucked you in as you drove buy him....
  14. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Led does not generate alot off heat, like the the strobes or rotators we use. you will find ice and dnow build up more common on the led bar
  15. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Led Lights

bigjeeping, i put a led bar inside my grill from safetylighting.com. he is a member of the site. Then I added the LED stars, which are small 3-led units..2 under the tailgate and one on each rear corner. LED draw far less current. He has a few led lightbars for sale that I have looked at.one is a demo unit, pretty cheap. All I know is the dash strobe and corner strobes i ran last year not only gave headaches, but drew so much juice the truck would shut down due to low voltage on the battery. Definately check out the LED's..911ep is a good source, thats all i run.
  16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ive got a Whelen Liberty Light Bar. 12 LEDs with takedowns and alleys. LED cuts through the snow. Strobes bounce off of it. LED bars are expensive though....buyer beware....