1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led vs halogen

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 04trd, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Not really a strobe question but a led vs halogen. Long time Plower first time posting on here. I just up graded to a 2013 gmc 3500hd single cab long bed and looking for a good set of lights to mount to my back rack. I'm worried that the LEDs won't melt snow like a normal halogen set of lights would. Any suggestions on what to get would be great!
  2. Welcome to plowsite.... Congrats on the new rig.... Pics are always great!!!!!! Anyways LEDs are the only way to go! Low on power and bright as hell the snow never has effected me !
  3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Speaking as one who has halogen rotators, strobes and LEDs in my own light bar, each has their advantages and disadvantages. Here's my thoughts on each:

Halogen Rotators: By far the lowest cost and generally speaking, very bright. I do think some of the high speed rotators loose a bit of their effectiveness due to the high speed rotation though. On the negative side, they draw much more power to get their brightness and as they age, some brands get pretty noisy.

Strobes: Pretty decent bang for the buck if you stay with a decent brand. (As with anything, some of the cheap ones are pathetic.) Draw less power than rotators, but more than LEDs. Some older models are pretty noisy in the capacitor charge up mode.

LEDs: The latest and the greatest. Buy a decent brand and they're almost blinding - plus you can choose your own pattern. (BTW, pattern can dramatically improve or destroy effectiveness.) Very low current draw and very low profile - if that's an issue for you. The down side is that anything really good (Whelen for instance) is going to cost you dearly. And some brands have very poor "off angle" effectiveness.

Hope that helps.

4. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys! And ya I have a set of ridgid LEDs on my personal truck for back up lights and they are great super bright I was just worried about them on the plow rig because they don't get hot but I'll give them a chance
  5. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Will post pics as soon as I get everything up and running. Got a 3500hd single cab long bed with a blizzard 810 pp