1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED Turn Signal/Brake Light Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaynen, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I am making a turn signal system for a tractor using all led lights. At the rear i have the usual 1 light on each side which each have turn/brake and running lights. I have a 3rd light that is the center high mount brake light.

My turn signal wire and brake wire are 2 seperate wires so I have used and trailer wire converter to combine the turn and brake wires into 1 wire.

Everything works as it should except this. If the running lights are off and i am turning left i will see a very faint flashing in the right turn light and 3rd brake light. This also happens if I turn right. With the running lights on you cant notice this.

Any ideas how this is happening?

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure the grounds are good. May have some voltage back feeding thru the trailer light converter. Need to pin it out with a digital volt meter.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

2nd that on the ground

4. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Grounds are good. But maybe ill try some new grounds.

5. zraffz

zraffz Junior Member

Is it possible that the flasher isn't seeing enough of a draw with the led lights? Try adding a test light into the equation and see what happens.

6. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Its a flasher ment for leds. And it does flash properly. But ill give it a try. Different grounding spots didnt change anything.

7. Randall Ave

That's why I said pin it out with a digital meter. It is receiving voltage, just gotta find out from where.

8. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

So it turns out the trailer converter was bad. I could get 8 volts out of any of the wires at any time. I bought it brand new why would it be bad right out of the package. Either way i bought another one and everything works now. Thanks for the replies.

9. Randall Ave

The six year old Chinese girl was in the bathroom when yours rolled by on the assembly line. Glad it's fixed.

zraffz likes this.