1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led tail light upgrade - can't fig it out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mtnbktrek, Dec 20, 2015.

1. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

01 3500 mason dump
    Had rear amber turns with 1156 bulbs in it
    Installed flush mount oval led lights
    Installed a converter to get rid of amber lights
    Installed a resister to each turn signal to prevent hyper flash

The problem:

When either blinker is used they work fine - if u hit the brakes that blinker that is on will hyper flash release brake and its normal flashing

The hazards do not flash in the rear but front flash normal .... If you hit the brake with hazards on all 4 will flash normal.

Brake lights work fine
    Running lights work fine
    Turn sigs work fine (as long as brake not pressed)

Any ideas ??

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You need to rewire them up to the trailer light wiring, NOT the factory s,t,t, wiring

3. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

It's wired in after the factory tail light circuit board where you would wire in trailer plug

4. dieselss

You need to wire it to the trailer light set up.
    I've done 4 trucks like this. Need to follow the trailer wiring back a bit, install a 7 pin trailer box, and then wire from there.

5. dieselss

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

This 100% correct

7. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

No trailer plug on truck and I do not want one - that will have nothing to do with this problem I can't see how adding a plug will fix it.

8. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

I don't see how this solves the issue they are currently wired where a trailer plug would be.

Also do not need a junction box - connections are made with QUALITY connectors not harbor freight garbage or those crappy skotch blocks

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Most trucks run the trailer harness even if you don't have a plug

10. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Trailer harness has nothing to do with this issue! Truck does not have a harness for it nor does it have a plug added. Please tell me how adding a trailer plug would solve the issues??? Did u fellas read the problem??

11. dieselss

ok, listen linda

your truck from the factory uses a wire for the turn, a wire for the brake, and a wire for the parking.
    which requires 2 bulbs (as parking and brake are wired to one bulb with 2 filaments)
    so your trying to condense 2 bulbs into one so to speak. you CANT DO IT LIKE THIS

on trailer wiring, from the factory, its still "wired" the normal way so to speak.
    I NEVER SAID ADD A TRAILER PLUG, i said tap into the factory trailer WIRING thats already there.
    that way you can wire in whatever lights you want.
    and that junction box is nicer and cleaner that 6-8 heat shrink but connectors. that way you can run a 4 wire insulated harness to each light and it'll be more secure and have a cleaner look.

clear now?????????

12. Philbilly2

Still 100% correct :laughing:Thumbs Up

13. Philbilly2

Basically, he is telling you that the LED's don't work with the factory left, right, and stop wiring that originally worked just fine with your regular bulbs.

If you tie your new LED tail lights into the factory trailer wiring harness connection point that is already under your truck on the last cross member behind your rear fuel tank, your lights will work properly.

14. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

It's called a converter look it up
    and no not 2 filament read the original! It has 1156 in it

I do not need or want a junction box it's a plow salt truck don't care how neat it looks k Nancy

Again if u don't know what ur talking about don't post it's simple

15. Philbilly2

Bud, you are digging your own grave. YOUR TRUCK ALREADY HAS THE JUNCTION BOX!

16. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

I know this they are tied in after the tail light circuit board

THERE IS NO TRAILER WIRING HARNESS ON THIS TRUCK FOR 3rd TIME

17. Philbilly2

The factory wiring is wired for 2 fillimant. You can put what ever bulb you want in it, that does not change the factory wiring.

18. Philbilly2

Dude, it is a 2001 Chevy 3500 - that tail light circuit board as you are calling it is wired for trailer lights. Every single one ever build has it. Just because you dont have the little 7 pin RV plug on the back of the truck, that is not what any of us are talking about. Go under there and look, bet you have an empty plug if you don't have a trailer plug.

19. Philbilly2

Do you have this on the last cross member behind your rear fuel tank?

Taillight Junction Box.jpg

20. Philbilly2

These are snips straight from the GM upfitter manual.

Upfitter 2.jpg

Upfitter1.jpg