1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

led strobes in rear cargo light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by KC2LLW, Jan 21, 2012.

1. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Hi
    I am thinking of putting two amber led strobe lights in place of my rear cargo lights 2002 F350 to replace my sound off pinnacle mag mount that someone helped there self to. I figure if they can't see them they wont steal them. Any help or recommendations are welcome.
    Thank you
    Steve

2. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I do a fair share of commercial plowing. I also wanted my truck to look stock but still have all the advantages of having warning lights. This would also solve your out of sight out of mind problem. I chose clear bulbs in the rear of the truck because they are alot more visible. Clears are frowned upon if you are driving in the street around here but I only have them on while in the lots. I did choose amber in the front corners to limit the flashback while it is snowing. Hope this helps, Casey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFREfxLBRYg

3. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Do yourself a huge favor and put some WHELEN VERTEXs in your cargo lights. I put the split color (amber/clear) in mine and it literally took 30-45min from start to finish. The easiest way is to remove the cargo lamps and put the VERTEXs in this holes. There Is room to drill new holes in you want to.

P.S. - Use that search button at the top, this topic has been discussed several times

4. Fr0sty

Fr0sty Junior Member
    from 02451

i just did the same thing with two extra whelen pop ins i had laying around...
    [​IMG]

5. chakakan

chakakan Junior Member

LED vs strobes

The biggest thing to watch for is heat. I installed a set of strobes in a set of Ford Ranger turn signals and within a month it was starting to melt the lens from the heat. Area was to small for the heat to dissipate. For cargo lights I would definitely steer toward the LEDs.

6. Fr0sty

Fr0sty Junior Member
    from 02451

the superdutys are partially open on the top of the cargo light, plenty of airflow & room to let heat dissipate

7. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

For this very reason, use the VERTEXs......

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

What else do you need besides the lights could you post a link. thx

9. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Thanks for the help guys

10. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

The nice thing about buying the VERTEXs, is that all you need are the lights and a switch. They have an inline flasher, so you don't need a separate box for that.

11. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Sooo its not a matter of just switching out the cargo bulbs with the vertexs you have to Run wire for them?

12. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

You can wire them into your the cargo lamp wires, but then they will activate everytime you open your doors, turn your dome lamps on, etc.... Just run one wire into the headliner, down your C Pillar, along the floor and up to a switch in the dash. I was talking about jus using the holes from the cargo lamps so you don't have to drill new holes.

13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Thx for the response

14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

vertex are the bomb in cargo lights....strobes good too...

15. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

16. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Two for the price of one?! I'm not sure if I got a hell of a deal or what, but I paid less than that advertised price for my VERTEXs. I'm sure those are fine lights, but they are just as expensive as anything else.

17. Rainer

Rainer Member

Where from?

18. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Local dealer

19. Rainer

Rainer Member

I've found em on ebay for $66/pair with free shipping. How much did you pay and what part of Kendall Cty are you in? I get down to southern Kane Cty every once in awhile, might be worth the drive if the price is right.

20. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I just got my e series hideaways from strobesnmore today via ups I will put them in this weekend I will let everyone know how I make out. I am also thinking of replacing my clearance light with the Atomic leds just don't know if I should go with clear or amber lenses