1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

led strobes in backup lense

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by lawnsrusinc., Dec 19, 2010.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Ok i have just become addicted to strobe lighting can i run led strobe hideways in the backup lense existing holes and wire up the led strobes then also run the existing pos and neg wire from the existing back up harness to those strobes so it would over ride it. That way i can have backups in the summer and strobes for plowing. Sorry if that was hard to follow.

Thanks

2. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

so u want to power the haw via the factory reverse harness so the haw light up steady burn when in reverse but strobe when a switch is on and not in reverse?

3. lawnsrusinc.

yes thats what i was thinking to have a steady burn when put in reverse

4. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

If thats the case there isn't such an LED hide a way that will do that. You have to set them to either steady burn or flash.

5. lawnsrusinc.

strobesnmore did ur hide a way e series led kit come in yet or are you ready to ship orders of them?

6. lawnsrusinc.

But if you pig tailed it into the LED wouldnt the 12v power over ride a inconsistent power to the LED of course when u have the vehicle into reverse

7. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

I think your on to something here. I assume clear in color so more light when backing up?

8. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

whelen led haws have an inline flasher unit unlike the old strobe haws which required a power supply. however i dont think u could put 12 v after the flasher to make it steady burn. ill talk to my buddy at whelen about it though could be a cool idea. kinda like their halo haws

9. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

is it possible to put an led haw in the reverse lens? specifically a gmc 2500

10. brwn234

brwn234 Junior Member
    from VA

Just did something similar to this last night. Used a Sho Me LED flasher, ran wires to the back up lights and spliced into the factory wiring just before the bulbs. Used some high powered LED lights. They flash when I flip the switch, stay solid when in reverse and go back to flashing when I take it out of reverse. All totaled I have about $55 into it including flasher, bulbs, diodes and butt connectors etc. Definetley not as powerful as true strobes or even LED hideaways for that matter, but better than what I had(nothing) and will get attention. Next I will wire in the front daytime running lights.