1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED strobe light question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by blazer_kid, Jul 2, 2012.

1. blazer_kid

blazer_kid Member

My question is can you turn any style LED light into a strobe. If so what do you need to do it? I have two running lights like these [​IMG]
    and was wondering if there is a way to make then flash. Or if people have a cheap alternative here is what I want. I have a roof light bar and a cap on my truck. The roof light bar does a good job but the cap blocks it from the back pretty good. I want something to mount on the back. I only plow my driveway but it’s at the bottom of a hill on a blind corner so I would like something. I’m not taking the cap off and I have tinted tail lights so wig wags in the tail won’t work any help would be appreciated. If you need any more info or don’t get what I'm looking for ask and I'll try explaining better

2. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

It is very easy to convert any LED to a strobe. All you need is a LED flasher. The one that I use is made by SHO ME. This is the one that I have http://www.able2products.com/update/11_1005_v1.htm . I haveto it hookedto up to 12 heads. The nice thing about the SHO ME is that they are very reasonably priced. Hope this helps.

3. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

All you have to do is hook the power ins on the lights to the channel outs on the flasher give it power and ur good to go. I have also had good luck with shome flasher.

4. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

Okay, no LED light can be turned into a strobe. People often refer to LED's as strobes, but they are two seperate products. A srobe requires a power supply that energizes to cause the light to flash. An LED uses a flasher to make it flash. LED's use much less power then a strobe and can be much brighter. An LED is a diode (not much bigger then a dot) that emits a light. A strobe is a tube with a gas inside it, that is energized to cause a flash.

5. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

thanks JK Ididnt have the time go into the led isn't a strobe lecture when i posted...

to the OP. do you have them wired as running lights on your truck currently or not? Because if you do and you want to keep it that way they would need to get wired diffidently with a diode and a flasher.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  6. blazer_kid

blazer_kid Member

No they are just laying around right now.