1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led strobe advice

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Hedgehog, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

My friend wants me to install some hide away strobes in the headlights of his 2015 super duty. I have in the past used whelen 60 & 90 watt power supplies with traditional strobe tubes. I'm thinking about installing led strobes in the headlights instead and was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are? Are they just as bright? Which system would you recommend?
    As far as the rear of his truck, he has a utility body and he is installing a magnum headache rack. I was going to wire two of the lights in this rack to a led strobe module. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Feniex makes led HAW's and surface mount lights for the rack that can be linked to strobe together. You can get them in multi color and use them amber for warning and white for extra back up lighting. I am mounting a set on my plow to use as warning and a flood mode when I am trying to plow at night.

3. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

How are the strobes n more hide away led's compared to the whelen vertex?

4. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

Feniex Cannon's are insanely bright! However, no matter the brand you choose do not place them in the headlights, instead place them in the turn signals. The headlights will drown out any brand LED and result in ineffective warning.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

How is that?

Too big of reflector?

6. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

No, just when the headlight is on that is going to fill the entire reflector and no led hideaway is going to overpower that. You'll be able to notice them much more in the adjacent reflector of the turn signal.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Thought that might be ur answer, when using strobes with plow, the headlights are cut off by default.

I think it all comes down to personal choice. I personal wire the fronts separately, the flashback can get annoying around storefront's.

8. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

Yes, I usually turn off everything if I'm not near traffic.