1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED Strobe Advice

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by beneb, Nov 6, 2014.

1. beneb

beneb Junior Member

Hello Everyone.
    New to the site. I recently purchased a '12 Silverado 2500HD to plow with. Decided it was time to get my own truck instead of driving for someone else. I'm working on getting her all set up and I had some questions about strobes. I've been looking around and I'm thinking I'm going to buy some Feneix Cannon hide-a-way strobes. I want to put some in my back up lights to be on when I'm in reverse and then hooked up to a switch for strobe mode. The previous owner of the truck was kind enough to have put 2 nice switches in my overhead console and it appears he drilled the mounting holes in the tail lights. My question is, is this a good placement for the hide-a-ways? Or should I attempt to get the dealer to replace the tail lights under warranty and drill new holes?

Thanks all!

2. beneb

beneb Junior Member

sorry forgot pictures

20141106_182218.jpg

20141106_182209.jpg

20141106_182154.jpg

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqheJaW9-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ2XW_qECUs

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea go for it

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

very simple procedures. i ususally HEAT THE 1 INCH HOLE BIT AND JUST SINK IT into the bezel .

6. beneb

beneb Junior Member

BTW, here's a picture of the switches if anybody is interested. Exactly where I was going to put them if I had bought a truck without. I haven't gone and tracked down all the wires yet, but I popped off the console the other day and it looks like they go above the headliner to the passenger side.

20141107_071451.jpg

7. beneb

beneb Junior Member

As in, put the hide-a-ways in the existing holes? My concern is that I won't get a lot of light projecting to the rear when I am backing up. Or...I could add more lights in other places... Thumbs Up

8. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

i have CLEAR whelen vertexes in all my reverse light bulb holes , on steady burn when in reverse . also have capabilities of 24 other patterns with a momentary switch .

sick

9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Really? Under warranty?

10. dieselss

This is correct, you won't, not from the factory light. As you said you can add lights for reverse if needed. The holes in the housing will not be warranty fyi....

11. beneb

beneb Junior Member

I thought I might be able to do some creative persuading regarding safety, headlight functionality, moisture, future repairs, yada yada yada...how about replacing my tail lights?

I'm not talking about replacing the factory bulb, though. I was just going to pop some hide-a-ways into the holes on the side of the housing that the previous owner drilled to supplement the factory bulb. I know the rule of thumb is to get that light as close to the focal point of the lens as possible. Just wondering if anybody could share any pics or videos or something of where they mounted in tail lights to compare. I see lots of videos of peoples trucks with the lights flashing but it's hard to tell where they are mounted. I'm kind of thinking I'll just stick the lights in there and see how I like it, and maybe add lights later.

12. dieselss

For what we are doing, it don't have to be that precise. I would just use those holes

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Have you made a video of your truck with them on? Sounds cool

15. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Try your strobes in the already drilled holes as the previous owner did as I assume it's all wired. If you're not happy with it then change things. I replaced my cargo box lights with strobes in my F250 reg. cab and they work great. The cab light is plenty bright to see in the box.

16. rjk512

rjk512 Member

The Feniex Cannons seem pretty nice, comparable to the Whelen Vertexs from what I understand...

The previous owner seemed to have a plan of his own, looks like he did a nice job with both the holes and switch placement - they look perfect on that overhead panel.

Best of luck.