1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED resistance ? Blueline??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Detroitdan, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Long time ago I wanted to change all my lights over to LED, was told I'd possibly have to install a ton of resistors inline. Recently found a flasher on ebay that says it's to "fix" the resistance problem caused by low resistance LEDs. Just wondering if this would allow me to install LED two-function lights in my truck without all the resistors. I want to do my truck taillights, the taillights in my edge bar, and the front turn signals. I need to know before I dump a ton of money on bulbs that won't work properly. I'd also like to change all my marker lights over to LED 194s. I bought a bunch of them but decided not to use them because the clear LEDs looked like crap behind the colored lenses. If I can do this I'll get a bunch of red and amber 194s and do it right. I'll try to add a link here to one of the flasher units I found.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Pi....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1318
  2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I would save time and headache by visiting http://www.LMCTruck.com

They've got complete LED housing packages. The blinkers are integrated too. Its going to be next to impossible to put multiple LEDs into an OEM brake light housing, and one is not enough.

Be VERY wary of those cheap things from China on eBay. You ALWAYS get what you pay for!
  3. Detroitdan

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Wow, jump all over my **** much?

I'm not talking about the gay ass euro crap. Take a harder look, its in there somewhere, or on ebay - but its the whole taillight package so you just plug and play - looks factory too.

As to my comments about "next to impossible to put multiple LEDs into an OEM housing," why don't you learn how to properly write out what you are thinking, because you're making it sound like you're going to buy a bunch of LEDs and resisters and solder it all together. Your quote was "I'll get a bunch of red and amber 194s."

If you don't like my suggestions then go **** yourself - nobody is twisting your arm to reply.
  5. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

yes that flasher should tke care of the resistance problem
  6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I've done what your talking about on my truck. Everything on my truck is LEDs except the head and fog lights. I did mine prior to the new flashers being made, so I have a bunch of resistors, but to answer the question, YES the new flashers that are supposed to correct the fast blinking problem do work, just be sure to get one that will fit your truck's OEM flasher port.
  7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

8. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Has anyone looked at or used the replacement led bulbs from Recon?
  9. Detroitdan

Q101, I was definitely NOT jumping on your ***. I was responding to your post, which I didn't quite understand. When I went to the link you provided I saw the gay-ass euro lights, so naturally I thought that's what you meant. So I had to let you know my opinion of them. Nothing against you. And I honestly didn't know what you meant about the muliple LEDs, I was planning on buying the pre-built 3057 style lights, then I mentioned 194s because my truck has a ton of them, cab lights, dually fender lights, dot strip under the tailgate.
    So, I apologize if my post came across that way, I didn't mean it to.

Blueline, that's the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
  10. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Led=less amp draw

resistor = probably equal to or greater than the amp draw of an incandescent lamp.

The question becomes why add the leds with resistors when you are going to draw as much current?
  11. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I have seen a oval trailer led light cut into the factory light. It looks amazing from the outside as it retains the stock look. All you need is a LED flasher to replace the factory one and it will eliminate the resistors. I believe Trico makes one for our trucks. Check with one of the major auto parts houses. They should be able to help you find the correct #
  12. Detroitdan

Good point. I would have to say for the following reasons:
    a) they look cool
    b) they are brighter/better color

I think the resistor is only functioning during stop/turn function, not running light function. I'm really not doing it to save current draw. I generate my own electricity with the truck, so I don't really try to conserve it.

Which brings me to a funny story. My silly old mother is so frugal she doesn't like to use the heat in her car, she doesn't want to waste energy. Can't get it through her head that's it's a free byproduct of driving the car.
  13. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

You are right on the coolness...I like the crisper colors too. I have them everywhere but the directionals.
    That is a funny story about your mother too.