1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

led question?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cameo89, Dec 8, 2009.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

ok I made a switch panel w/ 30 amp rocker's red led when "on" in the dark I can't seem to find my switchs, so I wanna install 8 leds above my switchs, run through my dash lights, how can I Dim an led?
  2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

all I want is a faint light to locate switchs. I bought a 6" neon tube from advance auto, but wayyyy to bright for me, it's like putting a 4' shop light inside the cab! lol Thanks
  3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Where are your rockers located? Under your dash? get one of those little peanut lights they use for sidemarkers and probably roof markers, and tuck it somewhere above the switches. Or just practice feeling for them in the dark
  4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I feel for them now, but I have 8 switchs, I guess I will buy the led's that I'm looking at and paint the head black to lightin up the brightness, I use my cell so I can't upload pics!
  5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

adding resistors to leds will dim them.....add on the power line....500ohm or more...add as many as you want to get the dim you want..
  6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Thank you so much because I just bought 8 of them @ radio shack, now I guess I can get them wired up now that the snow is gone for a few days! Thanks again!
  7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Would I need a 500ohm resistor on each led? or just 1 on the main power feed? I plan to run them all together and tap into my dash lights, cause I will only need them at night when my head lights on
  8. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

You will most likely need a resistor for EACH LED. sometimes you can group a few with one resistor, sometimes it requires multiple resistors per LED - just depends.
    Set up a test bench with a battery to see what will work for you.
    I had to use resistors to dim some "AutoMeter C2" gauges in my mustang. once you find the right resistor value, you'll be very happy with it.
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

or just use a dot of white nail polish on each one
  10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Ok thanks, If I can't figure it out I was gonna use a dot of black model paint so all I would get is a halo effect! I need to get busy with the program B4 snow hits again! lol Thanks guys
  11. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Keep us posted with some pictures if you can.
  12. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I need to get all my pics put on my thumb drive and go to my bros to upload them, I got some decent video of my lights lite up ar night! I will do my best to get those up in the next few days.
  13. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

well I went to radio shack tonight & all I could find was 470ohm resistors, & which watt do I need, they had a few different ones, & the sales people are just dumb @$$'s, they know nothing! lol
  14. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

each led is differnt as far as what type of resistor it will need. depends on color, and size, and evon mfg. but you can get it close if you dont know. if you get them at radio shack on the package it will tell you the (fv) forward volatage and the (ma) millamps it will need it to be driven at. and of corse this is tha max power it can be driven at. if you want use the led as an indacator light you could go 2 ways of doing it. or in your case 3. but the nail polish idea just seems kinda cheazy to me. i personaly would add the resistors to dim it. or you could grind of the head of the led. but not to the point of it actuly hitting the center houseing of the led where the chip is. then you will wreck the led.
    use this to check to see what resistor you will need: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz this is one of many calculators you can fnd on the net.
    if you cant find the correct resistor all ways go a higher resistor, or add resistirs in series to get the correct size if you are powering the led at its max. if you go lower it will burn out the led.
    as fir dimming the led. get a few resitors and try it. this way you get it at the brightness you like. the higher the resistor you use. the dimmer it will get. but keep in mind the lower the (FV) you use on that led the higher wattage you will need to take the heat away as the resistor will get warm. 1/4-1/2watt resistors wont get to warm. but the 3/4 on up will get a bit warmer. also use a resistor per led is the best idea. not one resistor for all of them. as if one led dies it will put more power to the others and making them burn out faster. then when a few go out they will all burn out becuse of the extra power they are getting as the other one burnt out. you can use one resistor for all the leds. but the leds will need to be solderd in series. like a chain. this is the second best idea. but if one burns out. none of them will work.

i have built my own switch pannel for my lightbar. i have backlighting, with indacator lights on it. i like it. each led has there own resistor. i have 19leds in it. 9 switches, 9 back lighting leds, and one power indacator light.

if you have any other questions let me know...