1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jkiser96, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I just changed my tail lights over to LED's & now my turn signals flash extremely fast. I changed the flasher unit & still not working right. If I turn the 4 ways on they work perfect. I am looking for any suggestions to cure this problem. Thanks guys:confused:

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

On which truck? Assuming your super duty, you need a 5 pin LED flasher. Some Napa's have them, or look it up in Carquest's catalog and have them order you one. You need an LED specific flasher.

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Yeah it was on my 450 with the flatbed. I picked up a heavy electronic flasher unit yesterday & it did not change a thing. I may try another one just to make sure that I didn't get a bad one.

4. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

You need a flasher specifically for leds. The current flasher is seeing the lower amperage draw of the leds as a burnt out lamp and the quick flashing is a way to notify the driver of the problem.
    They make resistors that you can spice inline but I don't see the benefit of these since they cancel out the current draw savings of the led.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Electronic flashers won't work. You need an LED specific flasher that flashes the same rate, regardless of load. I went to several stores before going into Carquest, flipping through the Grote catalog, and ordering an LED specific flasher. I want to say it was around $20.

I'm 99% certain this is the flasher I used, should be the same for your truck.

6. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I ordered a flasher from NAPA today, should be here first thing in the morning. Thanks for the info.

7. MogMan

MogMan Senior Member
    from Qc

I wired a resistor in parallel on my LED flashers. Cheap and works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R09D4E3bloY