1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED OUTFITTER 90w strobe kit issues

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Premierplowing, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Premierplowing

Premierplowing Member

I bought 3 90w(6 strobe) kits 2 years ago and installed one set in my 06 Silverado and one in my 02 F250. The one in the Ford smoked the controller within a few months....we pulled out the controller and discontinued using the strobes in that truck. I know I should have contacted the retailer and sent the unit in for warranty, but I didn't.

The second unit I have in my daily driver started making a popping noise last winter from one of the rear strobes when the unit was on( would run for long periods of time 60mins or more) . After investigating, I found the rear strobe wires actually melted after the plastic quick connections and were grounding out on each other.....It almost started a fire!!!!
    I am a skilled mechanic and wiring these was pretty straight forward. Power supplies were mounted behind rear seats on both of the trucks, power was run to 15a fuse in the fuse panel and the ground was grounded to the body less than 18" from controller.

Any ideas why this would happen? Why didn't the power supply 15a fuse blow when the wires began to arc?
    We did use heavier gauge wire to run from the power and ground(12gauge i think)
    Heres a link to the units I bought
    http://www.ledoutfitters.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=54

fried wires
    P1020540.jpg

P1020541 (1024x768).jpg

P1020540.jpg

P1020541 (1024x768).jpg

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Those little white connectors suck sometimes if they are on for real long periods of time. As you found out it melted. The power running thru those wires caused it to heat up and melt. The kits I have installed have yet to have a issue. But I try to stick to whelen stuff for strobes. They are the pioneers of strobes. I have used weather pack connectors on them also and those hole up very well and are water proof. Or you could take the white amp n mate connectors off and put heat shrink tubing around each on the the metal pins one the pins are connected with one another. Don't do it at a whole or they will arc. They have to be done individually.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The popping noise you are hearing is one of the wires is bare (copper showing) and its touchin the frame of your truck and grounding out.

I'm surprised that you were able to get the strobes on with the ground on the body. You should connect the ground to the negative battery post.

Since also between your switch and battery, I would install an glass fuse.

Or just get the LEDs with a 5 year warrenty

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

LED OUTFITTER sells the cheapest JUNK around...

He has been KICKED off ebay SEVERAL times.....used several aliases like "strobe light king" and others..

BEWARE THIS CROOK....NEVER BUY FROM HIM

here read his reviews...

Do not buy from this seller!!!! Want to know why? Visit the Elightbars forum on the internet and search for "strobelightking", and remember... you get what you pay for.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&fp=312094aa31ceaf24&biw=1294&bih=554

and PLEASE email me if you need advice on how to fix this issue.....your not completely screwed here BUT learn the lesson ....CHEAP=BAD

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011