1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led or strobe ??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by On a Call, Jan 8, 2017.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Okay, I have ran about all and any commercial lighting.

But strobes seem to be the brightest and most costly. But they do stand out durring the day.

LED seem to work well at night and are really easy to hook up. We run these on our snow rigs.

I will still run strobes on my day time rigs we use during the summer. Most are Whelen and I am happy with them you see them and that is what we need. Something that jumps out in your face saying...watch out !

So what do you run.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I've run both. Strobes you have to install the power box controller. But they are bright. LEDs are cheaper. Easier to install. My service truck I'm putting together is getting LEDs

On a Call likes this.
  3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Since you asked, here's my 2 cents:

Strobes are a proven technology that has been around for many years. That said, even between manufacturers, they are pretty consistently bright and reliable. The price is also quite reasonable.

LEDs are the next wave and both reliability and brightness are all over the map - but getting much better. If you buy name brand LED products, I think you can rest assured that they will be both reliable and bright. And since they're so much easier than strobes to put in (no separate Power Supply), they're almost a no-brainer to go with these days.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

But your going to have the guy come here and bi$ch. They are no good, but I got them cheaper on eBay.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Strobes are so 1982.

Might as well use chain lift plows.

hbrady, ktfbgb and SnoFarmer like this.
  6. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

Most new emergency apparatus is going all LED. Fire Engines, police cruisers, ambulance etc. The last engine we ordered before I retired had 100% LED lighting package minus headlights. As long as spend money to get the good ones they are plenty bright in the daylight.

theplowmeister likes this.
  7. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

I love my chainlift plow,now if I could just find a nice woman born in 1982. My strobes give me a headache,going led in the future.

On a Call likes this.
  8. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

LED will give U a headache too....
    You need to take them off the hood of your truck ;)

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

If you don't mind...

Why 1982 ??

o_O

10. Mark Oomkes

Strobes tend to "disappear" between flashes.

They also suck in bright light--daytime.

They dang near give one a seizure in heavy snow or plowing between buildings.

LED's do not disappear.

If you spend good money, they are just aboot brighter than the sun.

They don't reflect oof snow or buildings and cause flashback issues.

They don't draw near as much as LED's either.

Are you still plowing with a plow or truck from 1982? Still using a rotary dial phone? Paying 1982 salt prices?

There's good reason that fire\police\EMS have switched any new apparatus to LED and away from strobes. Some never bought into strobes because of the issues mentioned above, including wiring and a power supply.

On a Call likes this.
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm old school, (pre 82) I like strobes..... unfortunately I can't use them in the truck.

I do love LEDs just prefer strobes in head and taillights. The may consumed more power but I don't pay utility bill.

12. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

That was in reference to Mr. Mark O's comment that strobes and chainlift plows are so 1982.My significant other is a 1960 model year,still going strong lol (she'd skin me alive if she looked over my shoulder) :hammerhead::hammerhead:

ktfbgb, Mark Oomkes and 1olddogtwo like this.
  13. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Okay, good comments.

Not so sure I agree with the flash back. However you may be dead on.

So, who makes the best units for the money or is it you get what you pay for ?? But again, who ??

14. ktfbgb

I agree with Mark. I was a Rated Engineer, and an Acting Captain at my FD when I retired. So, that just means I was always in the front. The rigs with normal strobes absolutely had more disorienting flash back in heavy snow. The rigs with the LED, obviously had flashback, it's a light shining against snow, but it wasn't nearly as intense or disorienting.

On a Call likes this.
  15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Thank you
    Why do you think there is less flashback from led compared to strobes ??
    My thought is that is due to intensity ?? If that is the case that means the strobe in brighter ?? As I mentioned, during the summer and during the day we found strobes much more easy to see from a distance.

And I fully agree with strobes having flashback in the snow light or heavy.

16. ktfbgb

My guess would be that the strobes have a more concentrated reflector, and the newer LED strobes have differing reflectors, with choices like 30 degree, 60 degree etc. Obviously the narrower the reflector pattern the brighter the LED will look. But you start to give up being able to see the light from a wider range of approach angles the narrower you go. If you go with LED warning lights just buy from one of the major Emergency Vehicle outfitting companies and you should have plenty of brightness. I don't remember the brand of LED that was on our Engines but manufacturers like Wehelen, and Fenix and some others are kind of industry standard for emergency response vehicles.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are we comparing lumen to lumen.

I like the LEDs as you no longer hear the capacitor discharge and charge over the radio.
    But then, I still have a duel rotator on the roof. OS Thumbs Up

ktfbgb likes this.
  18. Mark Oomkes

It almost seems like the light from LED's is at a different wavelength.

I run SoundOff and a couple Whelens. Both are extremely bright day or night. Neither have close to the flashback that strobes, sealed beams or halogens have.

It isn't intensity. The lightbars most cops are using aroond me are SoundOff as well. At night, they are dangerously bright. In full sun, there is still absolutely no missing them. They do have a day and night option, I think some cops forget or the higher ups are too tight to wire it up.

ktfbgb likes this.
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You might be on to somthing
    The led produces light on a very narrow wavelength ,
    Thus all of the different colors wavelengths that led's are avaliabel in

And a strobe produces a light with a wider wavelength.

the scatter of color is what we are seeing as
    Bounce back?

On a Call likes this.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Thanks Meg......