1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED or strobe flasher in place of high beam?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mwalsh9152, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone knows if this will work. I want to put a flasher in my NightSabre II's high beam spot if possible. I dont want to modify the lights, so was hoping that I might be able to replace the H4 bulb. I've seen that they make H4 led amber driving lights, but does anyone know if those will work with a flasher?

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

If what you;re asking is if you can hook a flasher to a pair of H4 bulbs and make them flash, the answer is yes - if you do it correctly. Due to the higher wattage of that bulb, you can't simply take a conventional flasher that you buy at the Auto Parts store and wire it in. It just won't handle the load.

Now, if you purchase a flasher rated for that kind of load - like the ones used to convert police and fire headlights to wig-wags, you can do it. (You'll also need diodes.) The bigger question might be legality. If your wig-wags are indeed amber bulbs, you might be legal. If you used the conventional (white) bulbs, no way. Do you really want to give up your high beams for this?

3. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

If I understand the post correctly he wants to put Hide-A-Way strobes or LED's in place of his high beams. I am sure it can be done but like Too Stroked said why would you want to give up the extra light??

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Im sure you can find some kind of led/strobe light in a sealed housing to simply bolt/screw it on your plows lightbar. I would never give up my brights.

I believe where the most strobing or flashing light should be is on top and the rear! Just my. 02¢

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

just buy 2 vertex and mount them in the high beams

6. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Ditto .... They finally came out with amber ones that actually look amber (not canary yellow like the old model) and I have to say that I am more that impressed with them. You will probably actually save money in the long run. Simplicity is key!

7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

thanks, I'm looking into the vertex now, I assume those are the Whelen ones? As for the high beams, unless the snow is deep on the roads, I can drive with the plow 4-6" off the ground and flip the trucks HID's on with no blocking by the blade. I'm probably going to put them in the low side of the plow lights too since I usually use the trucks lights because I can see far better through the snow with the HID's

8. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Yes they are Whelen's LED HAWs. My only advice is to make sure they are they newest generation in order to get that nice amber color. The way you can tell is the newest ones have a clear dome and the older ones (the canary yellow ones) have an "amber" dome. They are a far superior product!