1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED location opinion's needed

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WilliamOak, Nov 24, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I need some opinion's on where to mount 4 led lights. If you need some reference these are the ones I bought.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=69338
    2 of the mounts mount flush to the surface and 2 mount on a mount (no other way to describe that I can think of lol). The only good place I can think of adding them as of right now is on the backrack (weather guard version) and grill. I know where I want to mount them on the grill If I go that route (doesnt look easy w/ the honeycomb stuff dodge has in there, but the problem area is the backrack and thats where I want the opinions!... I have somewhat of an idea but want to hear the ideas of others on here!
    Here is something I made up real quick. Sorry for those w/ bad eyes it's kinda hard to read. but I think you can get the idea.

Light arrangement on backrack.jpg

2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

that looks pretty good where you were thinking of. the only thing will be routing the wires from the outside bars so they look neat.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah the hard part like stated will be hiding the wires so they look decient, its gonna be tought for the outside led's as there really isnt anyplace to run the wires from there. i mounted 2 whelen strip light led's to my backrack and routed the wires through the backrack, that was a total pain in the ass but was worth it in the end.

4. WilliamOak

The wiring is the only part That is kinda drawing me back from putting some there. I want some facing back and side for sure though and I'll eventually get some hide aways for the front headlights. Maybe just run them straight down the bar that they are mounted on. I think It would look to busy with them mounted on the same bar as the work lights.

5. ColliganLands

6. WilliamOak

I tried throwing everything up today w/ some duct tape just to get an idea and I really could settle on something that I knew looked exactly how I want it to and wouldnt be a big PITA to wire up. I also bought the cat like lights from AWDirect but they're gonna go under the bumper and I'll get a cheaper set of lights for the backrack.

7. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i like it you should di it the same way as in the pic

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

How about the two leds facing out to the sides, mount them on your toolbox?

9. WilliamOak

I wanted to put some on the toolbox, but I take that out in the fall for clean ups and I will in the spring for mulch. I'll put everything up like that and tape it and take a pic tomorrow so we can get a real life idea on how it'll look.
    2 more questions:
    1. If I mount lights on the part of the cab guard that is angled up, will that affect the visibility/ effect of the lights?
    2. Should I mount the more powerful set facing the back or the side?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

If the lights are angled up like how you want flush mounted on the sides, your lights effectivness will dramatically decline. The brighter ones I would mount facing to the rear.

Or for the sides, mount them under the work lights facing out to the sides if you dont want them on the toolbox. those lights are small enough they should squeeze in nicely.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  11. WilliamOak

Thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure being that I've never dealt with any of this before.

12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well if you have the overhead bar and a set of hideaways, that technically will be plenty.

But on the otherhand, the way you have them in your pic looks pretty cool too.

I know that was of no help at all but let me know when you want to install them!

13. WilliamOak

There aren't any hideaways YET. they will come just not right now lol.
    Here is what everything's looking like as of right now.
    sorry I'm tired so I just crossed out where they were before but i think you guys can get the idea lol.

Light arrangement 2.jpg

14. WilliamOak

and here is what I'm thinking of doing now.
    Pink is the new ideas!

Light arrangement 3.jpg

15. ColliganLands

the last one looks pretty good but if the strobes "on a mount" are mounted right infront of the surface mount ones it will also block some of the light output. maybe its just the drawing that makes it look like that.

16. WilliamOak

damn, your right colligan. I didnt even think of that before.

17. WilliamOak

Here's what I'm thinking of doing now. Everything is duct taped on there as of right now lol. I think there are very few problems here as far as hiding the wires go. Only thing I cant decide on is where to put the work/backup lights. I Like them under that bar as shown in the last picture. Seeme like they wont be as effective turned vertically. Anyways here are the pics. sorry I cant find the digital camera so the cell phone is going to have to do.

Lights on backrack 1.jpg

Lights on backrack 2.jpg

Lights on backrack 3 full view.jpg

Lights on backrack 4 full view 2.jpg

18. ColliganLands

last picture looks good to me but its your truck lol
    good luck with the wiring

19. WilliamOak

I think I have settled on that last configuration. The ones facing the back are far enough above the toolbox that they will be seen easily.

20. ColliganLands

i agree the last configuration looks good. everything should be clearly visible