1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

led lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dodgegmc1213, Dec 14, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

so on my flatbed I put led lights. I needed to put 2 resistors on the driver and passenger side, 1 for brake and 1 for turn. during the summer the wire came off the driver side brake resistor, I didn't know do to a hitch cover that I have wired with brake on that side caused it to work normally. so I bought more resistors and replaced them all, today I went to go get our trailer, i took the hitch cover out to put the ball in and when i unplugged it my lamp out came on and the driver brake was flashing when on the brake. the wires are still on the resistors but obviously its bad. so this is the second one that went on the driver side brake. now i don't know if these are just crappy brand resistors or what but there fine for the driver turn and everything on the passenger side. but my question is there something else to do to make these leds work besides resistors? or do i just have to make sure i got spare with me if this is going to keep happening. thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where are you putting the resistors?
    Where are you buying them

3. dodgegmc1213

i got them from superbrightled.com and are mounted to a plate that's part of my hitch

4. dieselss

And where's that? .I got a set from them as well..No issues

5. dodgegmc1213

this is the only pic I got of the receiver hitch. there bolted to that plate circled in red and same as pass side

2012-10-02 15.17.042.jpg

6. dieselss

So that's where your putting them?
    I would install father forward towards the trany. Imo

7. dodgegmc1213

well I spliced them to the wires on the rear lights not the actual truck wires

8. dieselss

You can run extra wire to keep the resistors in a dry area.
    Why are you running for your brake lights?

9. dodgegmc1213

they do a strobe flash without it and the lamp out comes on.
    but I just looked on that site and found they got relays for leds instead of resistors. maybe ill try them

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

11. dieselss

Nice info.....

12. White Gardens

Really, depending on the vehicle, resistors might not be needed.

Personally, I would think with the multiple LED lights that we put on our vehicles, then there is enough voltage pull to not have to use resistors, or relays unless the manufacture recommends it.

I can see where you have a light with a single or double led, where the draw is minimal.

Good article, I like what the guy says, try it out and see before messing with a resistor.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Load-Resistor-Use-With-Automotive-LED-Bulbs-/10000000010793386/g.html

13. dieselss

What I have noticed is if you can get a cheep led type flasher, that's the way to go. If not, then the resistor seems the only option

14. White Gardens

15. dodgegmc1213

I know I need them, brake with out it strobes and lamp out, turn with out it the front blinks super fast, lamp out and I cant remember what the rear led did. I didn't need them on tail though they work fine

16. White Gardens

Ya, definitivelysounds like you do.

17. dodgegmc1213

thanks anyway guys, thought there would be a different way to do this but guess not. I don't believe my truck has relays for turn or brake so cant go that route