1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED light wiring

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cwby_ram, Feb 21, 2011.

1. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Ok, I've got a silly question. Just picked up a set of Maxxima LED light. They're just plain old stop/tail/turn style lights, 6.5" oval, with a set of boxes. Going to mount them to a flasher and to my dump insert.
    My question is, how do I wire these things. They've got a 3 pin connection. Still need to get the pigtails, but there is a red, black, and white wire. White is obviously ground, with a ring terminal on the end. One must be power from the flasher module, but what is the third wire for?
    I'm sure this is some very basic thing, but I'm confused. :help:

I was gonna just splice these into my hide-away LEDs in my backup lights so everything would be synced up. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks for any inputs, guys!

2. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

If it is a tail/stop/turn, one IS power for ur tail and turn the other it power for ur stop light

3. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Thanks! That actually gives me an idea. Could I hook one into turn signals and one into the flasher? Or would I need something to go from normal bulb to LED on the turn signal part?

4. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

They sell flasher just for ur situation. Or if ur feeling creative u can use a relay to kick off the flasher when u use ur turn signal. Or if u dnt care about using them at brake lights just hook one to turn signals and other right to the flasher. Make sure it is an LED flasher

5. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

They're yellow lights. Mainly want them as secondary warning on the dump, for which I'll splice them into my LED hide-aways so they flash together. I figured if they were up there and could be used as secondary turn signals just by splicing them into the existing turn signals, it might not be a bad idea. Good thinking with the relay to kick them off. I'll have to think about that one a bit. I can definitely get creative!
    Thanks again, really appreciate the insight!

6. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

If they r yellow then use one lead as flashers and other as turnsignal that's all. The only issue with spliceing
    them into ur hideaways is led are lower voltage and they will make ur lights dimmer unless u got open spots on ur hide away power supply.

7. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

No open spots. It's a cheap Voltex 4 corner deal. If they're too dim, it'll be a godd excuse for a new flasher. I was looking at Sho-me's flasher earlier. Can't hurt to wire it up and see what it looks like right?

8. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

Ya try it out. Sho me flashers arnt bad and pretty cheap. I got a 6way strobe hideaways 4 whelan TIR 3(2 clear and 2 amber in my tail lights) and a sho me led mini bar. So I got 4 strobe forward 2 rear then all the LEDs. Looks insane at night.

9. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

This all started because my strobe mini bar is out of commision at the moment and the voltex corners were a good cheap way to get some warning out there. Want to upgrade to an led mini bar soon. If I do the new flasher, I may add a couple more amber leds up front too.

10. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

Ya sure. I'll admit I'm a dinger I like lights but I just got tired of people not seeing me so I went nuts. I had all the lights so y not right.

11. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I'm with ya. I don't wanna get too crazy, but I definately want to be seen. And it is kinda fun!

12. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

I used to be a fire truck mechanic and I used to wire a lot of chief tucks and stuff. Its very fun and of course looks sweet lol.

13. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Good experience. I like to try to get all the wires tucked away and pretty lookin. Done a lot of wiring, just not lights.