1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED Light Comparison

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Kubota 8540, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Having exhausted my stash supply of Halogen Implement lighting, I am nearing replacement of the Halogen Implement lights I use as back up, flood, and all around general purpose. As I have looked at many different Led lights, confusion abounds. What do I use as a comparison? What will give me the best and brightest Led lighting? Price? Lumens? Number of Leds? Type/size of Leds?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Rigid......expensive but totally worth it

3. Lifetimeleds.com. only ones you will ever need

4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

X2 on the rigids if you can afford em! Had marine ones on my boat...bright and well built in USA!

5. Kubota 8540

Well if I am using PRICE as a comparison, Rigid is the winner! But my question is what makes a great led great? Number of leds? Watts of leds? Lumens produced?

When I bought Halogen, I would look for largest number of watts. 55 watts and flood type gave me a decent light. Not great but decent. Some of these led lights have many leds, some have a few. How/what is the best features to look for.

6. Kubota 8540

Definitely like the Made in USA part.

7. dieselss

Start by looking at the lumins. That's the main point. Then you'd go to watts

8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

9. Kubota 8540

P1080147 (Small).JPG

No I didn't use the whole stash on 1 truck. :D

Yes the heat from the lights adds to the melting process. :D

No I don't get tailgaters. :D

But I would like more light, less fixtures and less wiring.

This is why I am comparing LED lights.

P1080147 (Small).JPG

10. dieselss

I can count at least 6. Man, That's ummmm.....yea. need to see an eye doctor soon

11. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I don't know about rigid led's
    But I have a set of pro comp S4 led floods and I like them. They are waterproof, dustproof and shockproof. And with a 50, 000 hour led life. And 4 three watt cree lights. They put out 1820 something lums. They are small to they are like 3"×3" or just a tad smaller. They ran me $160.00 from 4wheelparts.com

Ratherbefishing what are the lums on the rigid's that you have?

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My F550 has Rigid Dually D2 HD's under the flatbed. They're supposedly 3070 lumens. They're bright, blinding bright if you're behind the truck.

On my 2500HD I have 2 DDM tuning leds on the bumper (1350 lumens each) and a set of StrobesNMore leds under the bumper (2520 lumen) and they're bright but I think the Rigids are still a more useable light as far as output goes. The SNM Cree led lights are pretty good for the price though. I'd think 2 of them would be enough to replace all 6 of the current lights on your truck.

If you want the most light output in the smallest housing available then the Rigids are pretty hard to beat. My rigids are 1/3 the size of the SNM lights and much brighter.

13. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

construction and internal components. Also don't let lumens fool you. 90% of the led flood lighting you see now on ebay strobesnmore etc. is china made. It may say 1500 lumens but its not. Rigid industires, whelen vision X etc. are all top notch

14. ultimate plow

from N. IL

I bought a 10" flood bar thinking it would be good. I was beyond disapointed with the output.

15. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Amazon.com $160 free shipping. Get yourself a pair of rigid industries dually or dually D2 set. They come with everything you need. They will outlast everything on your truck and you can keep them forever. Do it right once

16. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Another vote for rigid. There stuff is top of the line. I've got a few pictures of my set up I'll throw on here. This is just a set of dully d2s in their difused pattern. Witch means it's meant to throw the light to all sides of the truck with no distance.

image.jpg

17. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

And here is a picture of my rigid Q2s. It's basically 4 of those Dually d2s in one light. These are stupid bright and the pictures don't do any justice. The house is 300 feet away and that trailer you may be able to see on the side of the house is around 500 feet away so they are crazy bright.

image.jpg

18. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Ahh what the hell. Here is one with all 4 lights on

image.jpg

19. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If your looking for some more nitty-gritty details, here's some more to consider. 3 Watt and 10 watt LEDs will produce the best flood, let me rephrase that, they are only good at producing flood light, despite the different lens and reflectors used to try and make them into a spot beam. The 5 watt LEDs will produce the best long range spot beams, as mentioned above, some reputable names that make the chips themselfs are Cree, Osram, etc. I have installed many, many,LED and HID lights on every kind of rig and get to see how they perform. There is currently a flood of overseas Lights on the market now, most toss a fair amount of light out there and most claim to meet all the water tightness and shock specs. Same as the made in the US lights. I've installed and tested the cheep ones from Alibaba, and the next level up in my opinion are Ridgid, there OK but nothing special, and I've installed Vision X LEDs, they are hands down the best light I have found, built way better that all others mentioned and produce the correct usable light and put it where you need it. Everyone installs a new light bar or work floods and feel it's great light because it better than the old ones they had. Unless you can compare them on the road ( not in a show room ) you don't get a good idea of what's what.
    My work truck and daily driver that I use running the dark roads of northern Alaska at high speed, get top quality lighting, my plow truck that I'm more concerned with good flood lighting, get the less expensive 4" round or 20" light bar kind as it does great for the short area I need to light up. Something else to consider is marketing, many outfits use lumans as the selling point, do some research on raw lumens vs effective lumans.
    Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  20. Kubota 8540

True, I was just hoping the Led lighting would be less expensive.