1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led light bar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by skferreri, Oct 1, 2008.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

So i narrowed it down to 2 light bars the able showme 2 vs the whelen lp responder,they both look like great light bars,any opions would be awesome.

2. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

I got a sho me and i,m happy with it.

3. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Sho Me is great. I have an extra if you need one.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Good god get the whelen. I have 3 of them and love them. When it comes to LED's, i'm sorry but sho-me sucks. You can barely see them in the daytime. Go to www.strobesnmore.com and get the Whelen Responder LP, make sure you get the super led version not the con3, they are $299.

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Depends on the light. Whelen has some junk too. All mfg's have had their issues. Stick with the latest gen stuff and you will be pleased. Most major mfg's use the SAME LED's. Only their reflector design is different. Don't get hung up on a brand name and don't go with the cheap knock off's.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Whelen only

7. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

whelen ut if you do get sho me get the luminator

8. akron pa pw

akron pa pw Junior Member

Hay, If you folks are looking for nice LED lightbars go to www.whackerusa.com/store/ and check out their website. We purchased 2 LED lightbars from them for less than our Police Deptartments' 1 Whelen. We love them, they have 18 different flash patterns and a Bright arrow stick , take downs and alley lights for far less than Galls, Code 3 or Whelen. Give them a call or e-mail Hershal, Tell them Scott from Akron, not Ohio. Public Works told you. He will give you a good deal.
    Remember, it's not the roads that are dangerous, its the people that drive them that are. Be safe always wear a Safety Vest. Scott Akron Pa. Pw

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I dont care for the full size Whacker bar. They put a bar on one of the traffic cars here and its not bad but not that bright during the day and the patterns arent fast enough and cause the bar to have blank spots when its flashing. The other traffic car has a Fed Sig Arjent SL and damn thats bright.

10. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

Is there a way to manually switch light patterns on the whelen responder lp

11. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

for the price of the able 2 and responder get the whelen " mini justice " it had 8 leds light heads for $500 .. i have one on order ....

12. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you get the responder LP permanant mount/hardwire, you can hook up the pattern change wire.

13. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

I have a Sho Me and no issues. It is bright day and night. Little to no draw and lots of hours on it last year with no problems. Purchased on Ebay

14. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

SHO-ME LED MINI-BAR - MAGNETIC MOUNT Ebay around 260.00

15. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

And that's twice as much cash for about the same light.

17. OSLIGHTS

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

I agree, the Responder has 6 LEDs. And yes, the patterns can be changed in these via a momentary switch.

18. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I haven't seen the Responder, but the Sho me has a lot more than 6.

19. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I just got a Whelen Responder, it should be a couple of days till I see it. I sure hope it's what everyone says it is? Looking forward to getting it. Now I just have to choose my dash/windshield light.

20. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i had a able 2 led bar ... the only thing i didnt like about it is from the side angle you did not get the blinding light that you seen from the front and back ... the responder and justice .. you get great light output from all angles ..... yeah there a lil more in price ... but i will pay the extra ...