1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED light bar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by My bowtie, Aug 17, 2008.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I was talking to a friend about light bars, and he will not use LED light bars because they dont throw off enough heat to melt the snow/ice making them hard to see and less efective then halogens. Is he nuts???

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

ive never heard anyone use that as a reason to shy away from LEDs

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Hes nutty !!!!!!!!

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

use a snow brush to clean it off before you start and youll be fine. he is a little crazy if thats his only hold back :dizzy:

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

The Bar is COLD... The LED's Don't put out enough heat to do anything but light themselves. Once he just brushes the snow off he'll be ok. If there's ice on then lense... should just make it abit more brilliant.

6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Any warning light lens will become obscured if the weather conditions are right and its been exposed to them for a period of time. Drivers need to be aware of this and clean 'em off, every once in awhile. -Depending on the 'lights heat' to melt ice/snow from the lenses is kind of silly... IMO!

7. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

He's a older fellow, and i think he's old school.....Kiinda like if it aint broke...dont fix it..

Im looking for a mini light bar and have searched the sho-me minis..Can get one for around $230.00 They look like nice units..............ussmileyflag

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Whelen is that way to go

Then again thats all I use, to me cost dosent matter when it comes to this type of stufff

9. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Wow................

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Same thing applies to the back of one of our fire trucks. It has leds on the back and in the winter we'll have to wipe off those lights so people will see them.

11. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I saw a used on on ebay, i think the current bid was $100

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/mini-light-bar-led_W0QQ_nkwZminiQ20lightQ20barQ20led

the one on the bottom is the used one

12. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

13. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

I use LEDS on my truck, and that is all I will use on my pickup,,,,,BUT,,,, On my town truck I would run a rotator rather then LED because there is not enough heat to melt it off. The time it would take to keep it clean would waste time. Reason being the snow,ice and slush from the plow and wing would keep the light covered. As far as in the rear ( in the box ) I run LEDS

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

As for snow and ice accumulating on the lights from the plow and wing, It will happen even on a edge bar that has 8 inch riser mounts. LEDs are ideal for plowing. and Zero maintance.

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I've got an LED mini bar that will ice up in the right conditions. Obviously snow is not a problem, just wipe it off, but when the ice builds up, it's nearly impossible to get that off. It also renders the light basically useless from that particular angle. So, your "Old school" friend is not crazy. He has a point to consider.

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Dont waste your time with Sho-Me...not good imo. For $299 you can get a Whelen Super LED Responder from www.strobesnmore.com These are the brightest LED's I have ever seen and it is all i'm putting on my trucks. I just ordered 2 more last night!

17. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I am a big fan of show-me. It has never let me down, and I think they are very bright.

IMO i think that the whelen is very boxy and does not cover 360 around the truck

18. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

here is a picture of the show me light.. i love em this one plugs into your cigarette lighter and has a bunch of diffrent patterns for strobes

show-me.jpg

19. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

I have that Able2 light on one of my trucks, and its pretty damn bright. Lots of cool flash patterns. But I prefer Whelen LED products, The Mini Liberty blows this light away, but at a greater cost. When it comes to safety lighting, spend the extra money, you get what you pay for. The Able 2 is not nearly the quality of a Whelen light. Even the Mini Justice or Responder is nice, but the intensity is slightly less.

20. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i have to agree on that note .... able 2 is good .. but not the best ... i just seen the whelen mini justice bar ..... now theres a light to have ...... got mine on order .. over 90 flash patterns in that puppy ....