1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED Light bar with dump bed

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by TPCLandscaping, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

Anyone have any ideas for a LED light bar for a truck with a dump bed? My one ton chevy i have an Truck Star Mini bar on the roof and 2 4" led's cut into the bed. I have an almost new Ram 3500 on the way and i dont want to start cutting holes in the bed yet. The problem with a light bar on the roof of the truck is you lose the use of the rear of the bar. i was thinking of building a mount to put it on top of the overhang of the bed and just cage the light in to protect it from material. But then it would be pretty high, especially to make sure its over my sander. Other option is just to suck it up and put it on the roof and mount lights on the back of the dump bed.

so... any other ideas?
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

some sort of stand/ mount to bolt on to the bed would be the best way to go or just put flat led's into the bed itself and problem solved. however if you dont need the lightbar all year round you could remove it so it wont get dammaged
  3. TPCLandscaping

Yeah i thought about just taking it off but when i'm mowing and park on the side of busy roads i like the strobe more than my 4-ways.. I'm also looking at the small LED strips to mount on the back of the bed.
  4. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Posting a pic of the truck would help a bit... When you get it.

I would just say for plowing go county style with the led bar on top of the cab protector... Then get some strobes to go in the dump body lights. I just like that style.. You can even put some strobes on the salter...I've been eying out some LED trucker turn signals (amber) that would be nice on one of our salt trucks. Also I've never had a lightbar break... Don't really see how or why a lightbar would break due to material falling on it way at the front of the trucks cab protector...

Because you know in the summer you're not going to see any strobes or LEDs being hooked to a trailer! It's led on the roof or nothing!
  5. TPCLandscaping

My trailer sits lower then where I'd probably put the lights
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a roll tarp protector that we made a custom mount for the mini on top of, it works good.

7. TPCLandscaping

You don't have a pic of that do you?
  8. Mr.Markus

No, It's just a 90 degree piece of aluminum welded to the tarp protector and we drilled holes for the bolts to hold the lights and wire.

It's alot of feet of wire but it's where I want it.
  9. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

Either 2 beacons on both sides of the cab protector. Or buy 8 6" oval LED strobes and take a plasma cutter and Put 2 in the back of the body facing rear, 2 on the sides of the back of the dump body, 2 on the sides of the cab protector that over hangs the truck and the remaining 2 in the cab over hang facing forward. All clean and flush mounted but bright!
  10. Mr.Markus

I do have a picture of it after all...

What you don't see is the aluminum pipe that the cable is protected by on the front .The cable is only exposed around the tarp protector but it is also encased in that sloted plastic cable protector for the whole length.

Jan 17 2010 Fog 026.jpg