1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED hideways.....need suggestions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rb8484, Sep 21, 2010.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Hey everyone! Been a while since I have been on the site, but its time to start thinking snow!! I have a 90 watt hideway setup now on my truck and looking to upgrade to LED's. What should I look at? I have done a little reading on here and sounds like the whelen vertex led's seem pretty good......any comments on them?? I also read online that they are for composite lights. Are the composite lights the ones that you can look through the lens and NOT be able to see the bulb? I am looking to put them in my 2001 ford Excursion and I upgraded my headlights this year to 2005 Harley Davidson headlights, will those work. Any other thoughts on LED hideways? I dont want to buy some and find they are junk and have them not be very bright.
    Shoot me your ideas and comments!!!
    THANKS!

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i think you should get the whelen vertex led's :D

3. MrErk

MrErk Junior Member

Composite lights just mean anything with a changeable bulb, vs. the old sealed beam type lights. Also, another vote for the Whelen Vertex.

4. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

5. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have 2 pairs of the Whelen Vertex's installed and I purchased a set off the Soundoffs new LED hideaways not installed yet but I can say this I am impressed with the lighting output of the New Soundoffs over the Whelen Vertex's I cant wait to installed them

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

How much are those Soundoff?

7. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'm a fan of nova lights. I use the slultra models surface mounts and have no complaints at all.

They even have a nice setup for 2 led hidways on one harness. also ones with split colors..

www.strobe.com

Hyper-Lights.com carries them, I've had great service from them

Hyper-Lights.com

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

How do the Whelen Vertex work? I want at least a set of 4. I see most are sold as 1. How do you sync them together? Are they really bright? I currently have the 90 watt tubes, but want to get something that is bright and dont draw the power like tubes.

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Work like most led hide-away with built in flashers. You'll have a wire for power, ground, parttern, and sync wire.

If you want the lights sync you just wire the sync wires togther, and make sure you have or can set them all to the same pattern.

Think whelen uses a setup of
    Pattern A Phase 1
    Pattern A Phase 2
    Pattern B Phase 1
    Pattern B Phase 2

for alternating lights/sides, Basically light 1 is on pattern A set light two to the next pattern, which is the same flash just different timing. That way you will have light one flash, then light two. Same pattern alternating lights. you still hook the sync wires together with this too

http://www.whelen.com/install/142/14251.pdf

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  11. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Thanks Bruce. That gives me a good idea how they work.