1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led/hid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tonka329, Nov 12, 2014.

1. tonka329

tonka329 Member

I've read where you can put Nighthawks on a 9 or a 12 pin Unimount but, has anyone ever done a sealed beam LED conversion? I'm not really leaning towards HID's because of the ballast that will need to be crammed in the housing. LED's seem like the best way to go with my set up... Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tonka

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What set up do you have now?

3. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Stock universal lights. Stamped 2B1 in the glass lens

plowlight1.jpg

plowlight2.jpg

4. dieselss

Those aren't factory...Just fyi
    But yea you can get new lights with replaceable "bulbs" or leds

5. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Right. Factory ones are a bit more square-ish... These came with the plow (NIB) when I got it. I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket OE replacement. Will I need to cut the back open or vent them to allow to cool or will they be fine in the stock plastic cases?

6. dieselss

What lights are you gunna go with?
    I have the replacement bulbs in my factory western housings and there fine

7. tonka329

tonka329 Member

I was going to buy the Ebay ones. $92 + shipping. Do you have a place you bought yours or a part number? Maybe a pic?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  8. dieselss

I did ebay as well. Mine are the 3x4 ones I think, the small ones

9. tonka329

tonka329 Member

I see 3x4, 5x7 amd 4x6... The halogen now measures 5x7 but, it still have the flange on the outside. It's a Sylvania H6054... Do I order the 5x7? I was also thinking HID's with the slim ballast. Can you post a pic of your lights so I can see how bright they are?

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

DieselSS isn't very bright........j/k

11. Slate

Slate Member

Do you guys have a link for these.

Are you just pulling the factory lamp out and mounting a led light bar inside?

12. dieselss

13. tonka329

tonka329 Member

14. dieselss

Ok..As far as led I can't answer. I heard a few use them but can't remember who and what they said bout them

15. Slate

Slate Member

I have led bulbs in my truck for headlights they are nice except they don't have any heat output so I can't clear the snow.

16. tonka329

tonka329 Member

I would like to try a set out. Then again, I would like to try the HID's also... I'm torn. Just curious if any stores carry these I can bring my light in to "test fit"

17. Try lifetimeleds.com

18. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Thanks R&R!

19. kampfitt

kampfitt Junior Member

Most of the led bulbs that are high enough lunmens have a large heat sink and fan on the back of the bulb. You need at least 1 1/2" clearance behind the bulb. my son has them on his Dodge and they work great, my Chevy doesn't have room for them. I was looking at these for my plow lights leaving truck stock. These are DOT approved also. http://smile.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAW...qid=1415982941&sr=1-14&keywords=led+headlight
    There are others that are DOT approved and would fit but pricy!

20. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Thanks Kamp but, I need the sealed beam LED lens...