1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED Dash and Deck lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by blakerugg, Mar 19, 2009.

1. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

Some of you may know I have posted threads about backrack lights, and I am now considering other options.

How do dash and deck lights perform? I kinda like to keep the stock appearance of the truck (meaning no backrack and light bar). I was considering some of these for the dash:

- this one i would like to mount inside the truck up at the top of the window?

- these are cheap enough to throw a set in the back window instead of the directional bar above and a set in the grille for the very rare non-plowing use (obviously they do no good when the plow is on)

- one or two of these in the front window??

im not sure about anything yet, give me some opinions!! thanks!!
  2. WOLF8294

WOLF8294 Junior Member

4 corner strobe kit!

How about installing a hide-a-way 4 corner strobe kit?
  3. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

4. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

oops, sorry i forgot to mention i already have a Whelen 4 corner 60 watt strobe kit.

I just figured that for the prices on SpeedTech Lights it wouldn't hurt to add more warning power, especially since the hide a ways don't do much in the front when the plow is on.

Here's my motivation:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

6. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

i was looking at those lights but would use two of the Slim Lighters in the back, one on the left and one on the right. How is the flashback (i think thats the right term)?
  7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I actually don't notice it at all behind me. In fact, I've found myself turning around to make sure it's on. Visibility from the outside is very good; much more so than my friend's older Slimlighter LED. The TIR-6 version seems far more visible.

There is some flashback up front, but not enough to bother me or be distracting. I think its mostly because its partially behind the blackened "dot-matrix" part of the windshield. It still is bright, though. I'm actually very impressed by the Slim-miser for the money.
  8. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

I'm assuming you have the rear lights hardwired as well?

Also, what are your opinions on those lights i posted above, I think they may be too good to be true, since they have a directional bar for $240...
  9. DHDB

DHDB Member

10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have a brand new dual amber Federal signal Viper S2 LED light for $145 shipped if your interested. Had it in the dump truck but dont need it anymore.
  11. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Yeah; it's all hardwired in.

I cant really comment on the STL lights as I've never seen them in person. The videos on their site look good, and the warranty seems OK. For the money, give it a shot.
  12. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

You get what you pay for! :) If you are going to be using these lights for an extended amount of time, such as plowing, buy quality lights or just don't bother. You will be wasting your time and money.
  13. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

ultimate plow i think ill pass, but thanks for the offer.

GPS, I think that when i eventually get the lights they will come from STL. they would've been nice today, towing about 5 tons with no trailer brakes...normally i wouldnt have done it but it was all flat basically :dizzy: and i plan on putting bigger brakes sooner rather then later.
    (jeez i guess the season really is over if were talking about towing)

SafetyLighting, i see your point, but all but the grille lights will be inside so I am not too worried, and I won't be using them extensively because i'm not a contractor. So really at the most i could lose 60 bucks seeing as everything else is inside...
  14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I couldnt agree more - STL = SLK which is also = rubbish.
  15. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

starting to lean toward the $450 whelen ussmileyflag
  16. publicsafety

publicsafety Junior Member

I agree - speed tech is J-U-N-K!!!

Get yourself a good whelen or sound off light and never have to worry about things.

I'll help if needed.
  17. Ulitmate do you still have the bar for sale would be intrested.
  18. ultimate plow

from N. IL

what one?????
  19. The one that is for sale
  20. ultimate plow

from N. IL

I have a leftover pair of new in box federal signal external viper led heads in amber. And a code 3 420 mini bar fast rotators new.