1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led bulbs in plow blinkers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Dec 3, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Anybody put led bulbs in there plow blinkers?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

not yet, but they will be by the year end. I'm tired of blowing2 1157's a season.

3. Rickco

Rickco Member

All my stock bulbs,18 of them,are now led. Much brighter,last longer and best of all I'm saving lots of amps.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

are the LED bulbs a direct replacement of the regular ones? or do you need to wire a different socket in or anything? Also, where can you get these?

5. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ive heard mixed reviews about them, some say that there brighter and some say no. did u put them in your truck? did u get an electric blinker relay so they dont blink fast??

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Where did you buy these bulbs from?

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Anything has to be better than the 1157s. I think that I blew atleast one of them each storm last year.

8. Rickco

Rickco Member

I got then from my local truck up fitter J&J Custom. Great people. I did have to get a new flasher unit. There isn't enough resistance in the leds to activate the stock unit.

9. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

And no problems with your brake lights?

10. Rickco

Rickco Member

No trouble with the brake lights. they basicly work off of an on/off switch. The flasher requires resistance to make it click on and off,which is why the stock one had to be replaced.

11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

The problem with some of us who have BOSS plows, especially one's bought with in the last year or so, the bulbs face out word ( your seeing light from the side ), and the only way to get the bright effect from an LED bulb is to have it face forward, let me know if anyone installs these as I'm curious if the effect is the same.

12. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

there are many new bulbs that have 18+ led's on them in many directions, not just the "top" like the first generations of LED's. You can find them on E-bay among other places.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

They can be had through any truck or specialty car parts and accessories supoplier- or on Ebay.

Make sure you get the bulb with the LED's on the sides for lights that the bulb is in from the side and the ones with more LEDs on the end for those that have the bulb facing out. IE if the bulb socket is from the side you want LEDs on the side, if it's at the back (like most tail lights) you want them on the face.

Some vehicles will support LEDs stock- buddy of mine just changed all his lights on his new Silvarado to LED's with stock blinker relays. All LED bulbs have a resister built in to protect the LED's (or they would blow instantly), sometimes this is enough.

My question is this- anyone plowed with the LED bulbs in yet? Ina storm the tailgate of my truck is covered in powerd from the airflow over the bed- the taillights are the only thing not white from the bulb heat. I'm a little nervious about the lack of heat from LED's for that, beacon or not I find little comfort worrying that my tail lights are not visable at 3am in a storm.don;t much care about the plow directionals, if they can see my front directionals they can see my headlights...