1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED bar wired to cargo light question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by diaberic, Dec 6, 2015.

1. diaberic

diaberic Junior Member

I recently wired a led bar to my cargo light, so that way i can turn it on and off while i plow whenever i need it. i wired the positive wire from the led bar to the cargo light wire (white w/ tan line) directly. I then wired the negative wire from the led bar to a black ground wire for my taillight directly. My issue here is that the cargo light button works fine with the light turning on and off how i want when i want, BUT as soon as i put my truck in reverse the cargo light AND led both stop working. it does not blow a fuse because after my truck has been off for a little while once i unlock it the cargo lighy and led work again. my connections are also solid (i re-did them all today to see i that was the issue).....does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?? ...the only thing i can remotely think of is wiring my ground wire off the led to a different ground wire, possibly the ground wire for the cargo light.
  2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

What type / year truck?

Every truck has a different wiring, for instance my '15 Silverado has a programmed override when the truck is taken out of park the cargo lights automatically go off and will not turn back on until the truck is in park and I push the button again.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. diaberic

diaberic Junior Member

2010 ram 1500...before i wired in the led ive turned on the cargo light while in reverse and drive with the cargo light button on the dash