1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving too much behind

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ram150c, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ram150c

ram150c Junior Member
    from 01826

I am having a hard time getting the snow and ice down to the pavement. Even after the lots have had salt sitting on them for a day i come back and try to scrape it down and always seem to leave a 1/2" layer of packed down sh*t

i have superduty diesel with a 8.5ft minute mount II. I also have a bout 700lbs of sand in the bed.

What can i do to get more of this junk scraped off?
  2. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same plow scrapes like junk, its too long and there isnt much of a point to the blade. I just put on a new cutting edge and it helped a little
  3. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

With out seeing it I am guessing your lot gets no sun. Equipment wise check your cutting edge it could be worn.
  4. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Recipe for a clean lot - salt, sun, and traffic.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

More salt.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if the customer wants a clean lot then use more salt
    if you are just looking to get the lot down to bar pavement you as just wasting your own money
    we have a bunch of accounts that dont want bare pavement...they just want the snow cleared and only sand if they call
  7. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Hey RAM150c, try adjusting the plow mounting pins at the rear of the a-frame. If you put the pin in the bottom hole of the a-frame it should cut in a bit more. what this does is provide a steeper a-frame angle and a smaller cutting edge foot print. basically your changing the "attack angle" of the plow, As the weight of the plow does not change, by doing this a smaller surface area of the cutting edge comes in contact with the pavement. What Im saying is, now the cutting edge is acting like angular armor on an Abrams tank. If you take a 1/2 piece of steel and its just that, put that same steel at an angle and it actually gets thicker to travel through, or in a plows case, as the cutting edge wears there is almost 1" of steel touching the pavement. Anyway, usually their in the middle hole from the dealer, but as the front suspension of the truck tires out it needs to be moved.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Moving the back of the A-frame up even three inches will have almost zero effect on the amount of cutting edge hitting the black top. It will, however, cause a bunch of other problems.
  9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Like I always say... you need a Western plow. :D
  10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Got an 8' MMI on one of our trucks and it's scrapes great. Salt, Sun, and a good cutting edge usually does the truck. Today, just a good cutting edge and sun...save the salt.
  11. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Just a question for ya 2cor.....what problems will it cause??? Im pretty sure the engineers at FISHER didnt sit around laughing as they said "lets put 2 more holes in this plate just to **** with these idiots that buy our plows"
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The holes are there to adjust the level of the A-frame. The A-frame needs to sit parallel with the ground when the blade is dropped. The multiple holes allow for various truck heights.

If the A-frame is not parallel, the blade will not sit as squarely on the pavement when the blade is angled. This usually results in the ends of the cutting edges wearing rapidly, commonly referred to as "Smiley Facing". If the angle is off far enough, and the blade does not rest on the pavement along its full length, snow will spill behind the cutting edge.

Anything else?
  13. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

As I said: " Anyway, usually their in the middle hole from the dealer, but as the front suspension of the truck tires out it needs to be moved. "
  14. ram150c

ram150c Junior Member
    from 01826

Thanks for all the replies.
    I will ask the salt truck to lay down a little more salt and check out the moutning position of the plow.
    Also considering an upgrade to an EXV

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i have yet to see a piece of pavement that soesn't undulate the bigger ya go the worse it will be.

you guys have seen the guys that pave haven't ya???
  16. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I think you're asking for trouble by messing with the aframe height. This may improve the attack angle, but will also take the balance out of the angle left and angle right.
  17. ram150c

ram150c Junior Member
    from 01826

ok so my a frame looks fine. nice and level.

My cutting edge is a different story. It is worn right down to the trip edge. I will probably throw a new one on there. I am just a little scared trying to get those bolts off. :confused:
  18. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Use an impact gun on the cutting edge bolts or an oxy acetelyne torch and cut them off. I change my edge every year so they always come right off. GL
  19. ram150c

ram150c Junior Member
    from 01826

all i have is an electric impact gun... hopefully that works. I have a torch but probably not enough to cut with.
    Did i mention that i dont have a garage so i need a little warmer temp and no snow for a few days.
    the weekend looks promising so ill have to deal with this for one more storm.

On the plus side i found a brand new cutting edge for 110 on CL.Thumbs Up
  20. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Soak em in PB Blaster a day or two ahead of time, several times if possible. Then run em off with an impact. A little heat always helps. if that doesn't work, just torch em off and put new ones in. I always get new bolts when getting a new cutting edge anyhow. Don't have to worry about it then...