1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaving the plow on?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Acorn, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

For all you guys without the minute mount type of plows, do you take your plow off if the extended forcast looks clear or do you leave it on for the season?

My hydrolic couplers are a real pain and should be replaced so I tend to leave the plow on most of the season even though I use my truck daily for other stuff. I know this is weight on the front for longer than necessary but...

What do you guys do?

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Personally,

I take my minute mount units on all the trucks, on and off with each storm. I hate driving around with the extra weight on the trucks. Besides it really doen't take that long to get them on and off. Only my opinion.

Rick

3. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

take it off the front plow, leave the back plow on because its harder to put on.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of our trucks just sit in the yard,so the plows stay on them all year.My truck get tons of miles between storms,so I usually take it off.If there is a storm coming,I will throw it back on beforehand,and drive something else home.My plow is 12 Ft wide,so it's not fun to drive on the roads during rush hour.

I also don't like the way my truck handles with the plow on,I can't drive like I want to drive :D so I take it off.I've found my front ends last much longer too.All my older trucks,i left it on all the time,and it does take it's toll on the truck after a while.

One other benifit to removing the plow is you get to see if there is anything bent,broke or falling apart,as your looking right at it.When I used to leave it on all the time,I used to miss a lot of small things (loose bolts,hairpins missing),which usually snowballed into much larger problems.

5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I take my BOSS off if no snow is in the forcast

It only takes me 20 sec. to drop the plow off & roll it out of the way.;)

6. bgrover

bgrover Member

Well I hope this is appropriate...:D

I actually have a Boss plow so everything except for the frame bracket comes off as a unit. So I take mine off after each storm. I have it on dollys so that I can roll it up to the front of my truck easily when the next storm arrives.

Just my $.02

7. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Well, the question was for people with plows that are hard to come on or off. I have an old fisher that mounts with the two spring loaded pins. PITA to take on or off.. if there is an extended period of time with out snow, I will take it off. I had it on for a few weeks when snow was frequent, but now its off because it doesn't look like snow for awhile.

8. bgrover

bgrover Member

I am properly shamed yet again!:D :D

9. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

depends on the situation i guess,

these last bits of snow we had i took the plow off, to make it easier to drive around while salting.

usually they stay on unless i am using the trucks for other work, or doing a lot of driving

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i take it off and put itin the back of the truck ever since i had one stolen from behind my shop. they even stole the chain it was locked up with.

cardoctor

still cold outside

11. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I take it off. :D The plow... PITA, but the snow Gods are fickle enough, I can't see jinxing the snow any more than I already have.:nono: .. I only have to look at the plow and BAM no snow for a week. :realmad:

12. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

on

We keep ours on, yes it stinks to drive , however in mich latley it comes without warning i dont like to get caught off guard and putting even the western uni on at 2am is just not my bag.

one other interesting fact about western unimounts we keep the electrical plugs full of dielectric however even with the grease the female end after repeated on off on off will oversize causing some real wierd problems so inpart bought a old ranger to drive during the winter so i can has a nice quick parts runner or errand runner.

13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i only take one of my plows off.all the other trucks sit around at the shop

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ah finally... A Pickering post with a mention of a Western problem ;) That one poor Meyer in the fleet sure has been getting abused here, and I was starting to feel bad for the poor little feller. (that one's for you Mike ;) )

The truck with the Minute Mount usually just sits in the winter waiting for snow & ice, so that one generally stays on the truck. The other one is the daily driver so that plow's off more often. Sometimes I put it on to try to make some snow come. Works about 15% of the time. (OK that probably has nothing to do with it, but humor me please :p )

Acorn, replacing the couplers is cheap & easy. Go for it so your load\unload time can be easier on you. It's funny to hear you gripe about that. The couplers are the least of the hassle of loading the Minute Mounts for me & everyone who has posted MM loading problems here (more like 8-15 Minute Mount, until I made some alterations & figured it out finally, after years of cursing & fighting with it LOL)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  15. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

Same here... But this time I have it blocked pretty good for a quick roll-in and ~spring-spring~ next time - yeah right I'll keep dreaming!

16. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

yeah, I have had the new male and female couplers in my garage for a few months. I'm waiting for them to find their way to the plow. They haven't budged yet. I'll keep watching them to see if they move.

Whenever I take mine off, it snows. I have most of my jobs as contracts by the season so the less it snows the better for me.

It takes me about 15-20 of swearing, kicking, stomping, pi$$ing on etc etc to get the thing on. Older arctic plow. Doesn't even have the convenience of the spring loaded pins on the old fishers.

17. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I usually wash off the plow and truck after my route, then take the plow off if there are no more storms coming through for a couple of days. I usually leave the unimount frame with the pump and lights on the truck if there is a chance of snow. If not, then it all comes off and gets cleaned up, inspected for problems, set on the dollies, and pushed to the front of the heated shop until the next storm(sometime few and far between!:rolleyes: ) I don't like driving around with the unimount pump/light frame on, it is too distracting with those lights sticking up.

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I heard my name so I came a running. ;) My Uni Mount comes off after every event, but before I do take it off, I watch the weather channel and see if they mention any kind of snow or aything in the upcoming days. If it says clear for atleast the next few days or a full week, off it comes. I always leave it on an extra day though it seems. For instance, if its gonna snow on Monday, I put it on Sunday night, use it Monday, and keep it on Tuesday too just for the hell of it. LOL. Dont ask me why, I just like to have it on for longer than just that one snow day. Mike

19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My truck with the unimount loses the plow 1-2 days after an event, and if it will be 2 or more days between events. The other trucks keep the plows on for the winter. I have one guy tho that has a habit of leaving the plow up when parking the truck, and that is ticking me off a bit. But aside from that no real problems with the guys this year.
    Dino

20. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have the old meyers set up on both of my trucks and if there is no snow... then the plows are off. If there is going to be snow, they go on. They aren't THAT hard to hook up. The longest its taken is 2 minutes and that was with a newbie helping. I think its harder to hook up anything on a 3 point hitch than to hook up a snow plow.