1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving snow on tight inside turns

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by moran, Jan 22, 2014.

1. moran

moran Junior Member

Doing a dirt road driveway with two 90 degree turns (one right one left) I always leave snow looking unplowed on the inside of the right hander. Using an old Fisher G series eight foot plow on an old Ford F250 it doesn't seem to matter how I angle or don't angle the plow it always leaves a lot of snow at the inside of the right hand curve. How can I plow the corners cleanly?

2. diezeldoc

diezeldoc Junior Member

Long wheelbase or even semi long wheelbase track wider than the with of the plow on turns, you gotta tuck the turns before continuing on or on your clean up passes.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Get a bigger plow or a shorter truck.

4. moran

moran Junior Member

inside turns

Thanks - though I'm not sure what you mean by "tuck the turns".

5. moran

moran Junior Member

inside turns

It looks from the driver's seat like the right edge of the plow is on the inside edge of the turn but there's always snow left behind.

6. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

More than likely what is happening is when you make the right hand turn your blade is cleaning it, but your back tire is running over part of the bank pushing snow back onto the driveway. Have you tried taking the corners "nascar" style?

What I mean by that is come in wide, cut to the inside then go wide again. Basically making a sharp turn not so sharp......

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

When you take your first swipe up the driveway turn early, wide, and exaggerated into the corner to where your BLADE is a little further than where you think the edge of the drive is. When you turn your back tires will push some snow out as usual. On your next pass down turn where you normally would, there won't be as much snow now because you took a roughing swipe first, when you turn your tire may just drive over the snow now instead of pushing snow back into the drive. At least it won't be as bad, perhaps still not fully correcting the problem. Lots of options, sometimes harder to explain than actually doing it.

8. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Sometimes after plowing around the corner, Say a left hand turn, on my way back down I'll back the blade up to the corner, angle full right, cut the wheels right, and back drag the mess back into the corner. Sometimes back up the driveway and get it from the other side. You just have to try different things and see what works. Or just get a shoveler and have him hop out to clean up the corner :)

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Only way would be with a hinged loader type machine. Do what you can then as with what was said push snow into the grass off the turn.

10. camp61

camp61 Member

I have this same situation. As everybody says, it's your rear tire knocking snow back into the drive. Sometimes you just can't get it by driving forward. Come up to the corner, stop, anbgle your blade to the outside of the corner and back drag it to the middle, then push to the outside.

11. moran

moran Junior Member

Thank you all. Waiting for the next storm to try your suggestions.

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I hate this on inside curves thats have curbs. I need a plow i can shift two feet left or right to cover my back tire

13. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

It's all relative to the length of the truck and how far forward the blade is on the truck. There's no way to prevent this outside of going with a wide blade to compensate for the difference.

What I do is keep the blade straight on the first pass going around a corner. This allows the blade to be at it's widest while turning. After that, I'll come in to the corner then straighten out the truck and carve at it straight. When plowing a corner with the blade angled, it will always do this. You'd need a 10ft wide blade on a regular pick up to prevent it from happening. Even then it could still leave some behind.

14. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

X2!

A back drag blade is worth the investment, especially if you have alot of residentials. Really helps get the snow pack up

Where in MA are you?
    Have you been on the NE weather forum? The guys there are 10X's more accurate than any local weatherman, and usually 2-3 days ahead.
    Also a good place to network
    Good luck...probably sat nite

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Back blade (pull plow) will solve these problems.

16. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

True but it sure is a expensive alternative.

I think the easiest way to deal with it is to plow the corner as if it were straight doing it in short straight pushes. Obviously backing up and approaching it at a different angle each pass. Doing it this way doesn't seem natural as we tend to want to turn on a curve so it's harder to do. Go wide, turn sharp then straight. Back up and repeat.

17. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

my back drag blade cost $250
    best investment for doing drives and loading docks ever

18. vlc

vlc Senior Member

X2 on the back drag blade. I have them on all 3 of my trucks. I would never plow resi's again without them

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It still happens, just not as bad.

20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That is just one reason I use jeeps for driveways.