1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Salt/Sand In Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Dec 18, 2008.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I purchased a new Salt Dogg this year. I was wondering If I could keep my 75/25 Sand/salt mix In the spreader for a few days at a time and if it would be hard on the augor or anything else. Its kept in a heated shop & always covered. It wouldn't be a big deal to unload it but I have to drive 6 miles to where my pile is, the pile is also stored inside.

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

if it a heated garage and covered i dont see a reason for un loading it

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not gonna hurt a thing.

4. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks guys for your help!!

5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

You want the heat from the garage to prevent the load from freezing up however heat triggers corrosion. In other words, people think they are doing themselves a favor buy pulling the rig into a heated garage after a storm.

It's like meat in the refrigerator, the colder it is, the longer it lasts.

6. mfalc

mfalc Junior Member
    from pa

leaving salt in spreader

The only problem i see is that the auger is not made of stainless steel, so it would be subject to corrosion. Not sure why the auger isn't stainless steel.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I dont think it is the heat as much as it is the moisture

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We always empty and clean when we are done, just did it for again for 3rd day in a row....safe rather then sorry. We store in heated garage also, but what you need to ask yourself is the 1/2 hour it takes to empty and clean it worth knowing it will work next time you need it? If not then leave it in there and IMO it will cause something not to work at sometime and what will that cost you? This is what we do with ours and we have a sub that has 8 salt trucks he does the same thing.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've been leaving salt in ours for 10 years, there's 4 ton sitting in the one salt truck as we speak in our heated shop and we havn't had any problem. As soon as we pull out of the shop we run the conveyor just to make sure it moves freely and were off.