1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving salt on-site??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by B.Bells, Oct 14, 2009.

1. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

Is it a good idea to leave bagged salt on site? Been tossing the idea around. I want to keep enough on site to do at least 1 salt app. but i dont want to have 50# chunks either, kinda hard on the ol' spreader. any ideas? if i do what should/can i do to insure no chunks?:confused:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Set it on a pallet and cover it with a tarp?

3. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i left 8 skids on site i put 4x8 sheets of ply wood over them and traped it and it was fine

4. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

k i was just making sure it wasn't a bad thing!

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Call a portable rental storage unit place....like Mini Storage.

They will send out a Steel unit lets say 10x18 out to your site.. You can then throw a few pallets in there, as well as some equipment.

Around here, the 10X18 portable storage units are like $107 a month, with a $70 delivery charge both ways.

Great deal...as I wouldn't trust my pallets of ice melt chilling outside for everyone to dip into and to get wet....unless of course it a secured lot.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you would be surprised to see how pallets of salt are stacked at warehouses and depots. Outdoors, with a cover or shrink wrap. Just like wood pellets. The packaging is sealed very well.

7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I just saw another contractor deliver 9 pallets 2 days ago to a property he services. Each pallet is wrapped with shrink wrap. They most likey will not start using this for almost 2 months.They have done this for years at the same location. If it is wrapped good I think it has to be okay.
    Security has to be the bigger concern, this was the expensive stuff calcium.

8. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

I don't know about the chunks but i know a local Meijer they keep a huge pile of salt in the back of the store, then they have loaders that load it into the salt spreaders. all they do is dump the salt then tarp it then loaders right on top. I have noooo clue why they put the 3 loaders on top (maybe to keep down the tarp, but why wouln't they just drop the bucket on the border):dizzy: