1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving salt in the hopper?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CPSS, Mar 15, 2002.

1. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Hi guys, I'm new to this site. We have a MONROE V spreader mounted permanantly to a Dodge 1 ton. Usually we don't leave any salt in the hopper after application, in fact we always hose it out after use. This year, because of the lack of snow, we have left about 1yd of dry salt in the hopper, truck parked inside our heated shop. I know its not a good idea to leave a load in the hopper ( its not stainless steel ), any one else do this, or am I just asking for trouble? I guess I'll dump it this week anyway.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If it is dey and inside iand the unit was oiled and painted then it should be fine. I would not keep it in much longer as humidity may start toi affect it. At this point you may find that the salt bridges when you try to run it out.
  3. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Thats about what we thought, just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I only have a small talgate sander right now but I still empty that and if I had a v box i would most definatly empty that unless it was to snow in a 5 hours later or so but you should have a garage which you do.
  5. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I didn't empty my tailgate one night and the next day I had a salt block.:(
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Well, you were all right. finally got a little snow here today, decided its time to use up the salt. When I engaged the spreader clutch, belt squeeled, wouldnt turn, had to use a wrench to get the chain to move. Went to the first job, spread salt for about three mins, then nothing was comming out. Had to use a pipe to break up all the bridged salt. Figured I saved about 10 minutes by not dumping the salt back in the pile 2 weeks ago. Spent 2 hours today to get things working. Never again!:mad:
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Like I said on another post on this topic, you only do it once!:D
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you got that right.when you have to spend more time trying to get it to work than if you just dumped it in the first place.
    My freind use to leave the sand and slatmix on all season and never dump it out but you something he always had problems and big repair bill and complained of making no money I wounder why?:rolleyes: