1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving plow on street overnight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boutallnite, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Is it safer to leave the plow up or down, overnight parked on the street? I mean safer as in Not getting it stolen.

2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

There was a thread started awhile ago about plow theft. Majority of us agreed it didn't matter if it was up or down, they're gonna get it! I think the movie ' Gone in 60 seconds' should have been about plow theft. :nod:

3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The first thing that I would consider would be to park it in the front yard before I would park it in the street. If you can't do that, I would see about renting a place to park it where it wouldn't be in the street. After I got that worked out, then I would worry about whether or not to leave the blade up or down. I would just be concerned that someone would steal the whole truck, or the plow, or slide into it and total it with it parked in the street.

4. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

have you thought about replacing the mounting pins with a hitch lock? I think the pin on a 2in hitch reciever is about the same size as the pins on my meyers. I don't do this myself but I would look into it if I had the need.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

i personally would NEVER leave my plow up unless in transport. plowing is hard enough on a truck without stupidly leaving it up while parked for long periods. Do you have a driveway or do you live in the city where you have to park on the street? If you have to park on the street and have enough room i would take the plow off and then turn around and back up to the plow mount (back side of truck to backside of plow) much harder to steal as they will have to move the truck. If you can put it somewhere besides the street do so. Also take it off the truck if not plowing.

As far as it being easier to steal when up or down i would say down makes it much easier for the thief IMO. Can get it up or down though if they want it enough. I would just as soon get it stolen while down then put the stress on the truck by leaving it up all the time IMO stupid thing to do.

6. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Wouldn't setting the plow on a couple cement blocks or chunks of wood make the plow harder to steal and take the weight off the truck? Plus, a good chain and lock would help too.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like those hitch locks that they make i know meyers sell them

8. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

Bottom line is if they want it theyll get it,period.Good prevention is what u need to do.Ideally is parking it somewere lit up good or park the front against something,like another car or a wall so the plow is blocked in.If thats not an option i know fisher makes a pump lock,u can also fab a lock to lock it to the truck better.What we do up here on the custom show trucks we build with stuff on them is to wire a wire relay to stuff like the gas caps,hoods etc.U can wire a wire to the plow so if it is removed the wire will break or pull a solonoid and activate your alarm or a horn or even a pager that is with u so if it does happen u have a good chance of catching the theif in the act and maybe get them stopped.

9. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

A friend who was a locksmith once told me, "locks keep honest people honest". This is so true. Whether a drug addict or a professional thief wants it they are going to get it. But by all means drop the blade! If your truck just worked for you give it a break and ease up the load! I asked the Monsignor at church one Sunday if he would like to hold his arms out and I load 750 lbs on him. He asked what I meant and I told him to drop the blade on the Ramcharger! My wife and son never let me forget that! :realmad:

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's too hard on the suspension to leave it up.:nono:

11. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Thanx guys,
    I do have place for the plow at my parents house, I was just in the area where I live and was to tired to drive it back to my parents. Well it's all good.