1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving Notes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Toby, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

On my Res. Routes there has allways been a Problem when an Ongoing Storm Hits & We Clear During the Storm...

The Rule is that we start the routes After 2" have dropped if it's suposed to Be Ongoing Storm w/heavy Totals..Routes take 8-14 hrs....We then Redo the routes the following Day...Allways within 20 hrs Max of the Last Visit the Same Drive will be Cleared....Customers Know the Policy & its Worked fine for Many Many Years...

However last year there seemed to Be more Whiners and Complainers than Usual because of a few Storms that really kept Pounding hard after we'd Left..

"My Drive Wasn't Cleared" on the Answering Machine....Even thought there was 1' of snow total and only 4" remained....& they were due to be cleared again in a few hrs..

Anyway to Make a Long story Short...I'm going to leave a card when this happens Saying "Mr. or Mrs. Dumbass, .......Lawnscape cleared your drive and walkway at (fill in the time). We will be back between (fill in time) to clear what has fallen since our last visit as per our agreement. Thank You for your business."

Anyway it's a Done Deal but Am I a freakin' Genius or What ?!?!
  2. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I like that I just might have to start that too..... thats if you dont mind lol
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea. I hope it works well for you. I would go a step further and include that card (not filled in with the times) with the contract, if and when they sign one, explaining to them how it works and why you are doing it. That should work to cut down some of the calls from the folks, who at least stop to think before the react.
  4. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Mr. or Mrs. Dumbass, .......Lawnscape

Hey you stole mine and the wifes company name :) :p
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

This may sound silly to alot of you. But, Last year, when I was 15, I had about 6 drives that I shoveled. One time I even got the cops called on me because I was shoveling at 3-4am. Anyway, when ever I got done with a house, I had these little cards I made on the computer that said "Premier Landscaping has shoveled your snow at ____ on _____ tottaling ___, please call ____ so payment can be made, thanks for choosing us, and see you next snowfall!"

and they always called me back. It was neat. This year I plan on doing the same thing, execpt with a snowblower and maybe a plow, but thats a BIG MAYBE now :( lol.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't say you're a genius, there's alot of people who do that. It is a good idea however if someone accuses me of not doing their property, and they can't see the pile(s) of snow near or where I've plowed, then are truly blind. I would simply tell them to find somone else, I don't have time to argue.
  7. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I totally agree. I too have had instances where I would do the driveway and come back and do it again because of more accumilation and they would bit## every time saying I over charged them. :realmad: :gunsfiring: IM RIGHT THEY R WRONG. Don't plow 4 them anymore. :)
  8. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I do something similar with my customers (all residential)... I make an envelope for each customer. Each customer has a designated place where the envelope will be kept/hidden. When I am done snowblowing, I write the date/time on the envelope. When they pay me, I mark "paid" next to the dates that have been paid. This makes it easy for them to pay me, since they may not see me, or I might be in a hurry. I ask them to not leave cash in the envelope. If they pay cash I ask them to pay me directly. I also ask that they try to pay as they go so as to not get too far behind in payment. I used to have all pre-paid plans, but this year I've added a pay-as-you-go plan and I'm using the envelope. It has worked good so far, but only two service events so far this year. I'm also going to use the envelope as a way to communicate with the customer, by leaving them notes etc. when needed.