1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving material in Sander between storms

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by terraventure, Nov 25, 2005.

1. terraventure

terraventure Member

Does anyone leave sand/salt mixture or salt in sander between storms? If so have you had any problems. This is my first year with a sander and I am lazy. I was wondering if I need to unload the sander between storms.

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Unless you are storing in a garage, you might end up with problems. Even if you keep the sander covered, moisture can build up and turn your salt into a block that you have to break up. We always get rid of the salt and rinse out the spreader to avoid problems.

3. terraventure

terraventure Member

That is what I thought better to unload and be safe than have a block of sand/salt.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I store a sand/salt mix in my Vbox all winter in an unheated garage. I've never had any problem - BUT I keep the load covered while I'm driving if there is any snow or rain. The other factor is that my Vbox has a 16" chain (wider than some) which helps prevent bridging since the side angles are steeper.

I won't be storing it like that this winter since I have my own stockpile and loader.

5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I wouldn't store it in the hopper myself, but if you choose to make sure you have the tools necessary to remove the grates on the top (if you have them) and a real good digging/rock bar. When they freeze up, they freeze up well.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

:nono: I wouldn't do it!

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

over night we leave it in sometimes but we park in a heated garage.Normally we empty them before retuning to the shop or we unload back into the pile as we wash out all equipment after every storm.

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

We use strait sand or p-rock and leave it in all the time but it is indoors. Just put a floor jack under the back to releave the springs over night.
    No one here in Juneau uses salt and it shows in the lack of rust in our cars around town. They use to use it 25 years ago but passed a local ordenance blocking its use due to the ware/rust. 2 year old cars had there fenders falling off.

9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I keep mix in my spreader all winter. I had a problem with straight salt freezing up one time. I now run a 50-50 mix, park out side and make sure my tarp is in good shape. I don't have a loader and depend on my supply yard for material.

Gene