1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving equipment on site, Starting it??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johndeereguy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

This winter we will be leaving a lot of equipment, skid loaders and Arctics on site. I was wondering how you guys that do this get your equipment to always start when is cold? I know last year I left my one skid out and if it was 20 or above was no worries, but if it was colder I would always just haul it there in the storm. DO you find somewhere there to plug it in? Just looking for ideas and answers
  2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We leave equipment on site at a Costco Distribution Center. The place is secure, and we can plug in our equipment. Just to cold where we are not to be able to plug in equipment.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm in the same boat. This week I have to go to the accounts and verify I can even leave equipment on site, which shouldn't be a problem then see if they have a outlet to plug in equipment. Our skid steer has issues with starting even with temps. in the 20's and 30's. I ordered 2 sets of permanent jumper cables for my stuff just in case.
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have seen the Guy that does a home depot by one of my accounts using a torpedo heater for 30-45 minutes prior to getting his equipment to start.
  5. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

We just plug them in on site.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We actually specify in our contract that we must have hydro. If you can't get them plugged in buy a small generator, at least if they won't start you can plug them in for 20 min and they should fire. Also when it's very cold we send a guy down early to make sure everything starts and is warmed up before the guys get there.
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Get a good diesel mechanic and have him go over everything ... tune up and adjust NOW it'll save you sooooo much aggrivation when the time comes.... If the batteries are a few years old replace them with new ones (it takes alot of juice to get these things going when its cold out) also Keep a few extra fuel filters for all your machines as they tend to gel up there first... easy fix if thats the case... also use anti gel fuel additive when you top off your machines after EVERYTIME you plow (not the next morning but before you shut the machines down)... gets rid of the condensation in the tank... I put a inline coolant heater in my 740 so if its really cold out I'd have my operator go over and "plug" it in to my inverter that I allow him to carry in his truck an hour or so before we are to start. My 740 also has a ether help starting aid which I don't like to use but its there if all else fails. My 248 Skid only has glow plugs. It starts hard but starts everytime (*knock on wood*) (again new battery in this also).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I leave my skid on a site all winter, and I'm able to use an outside plug in. Just make sure to test the outlet on occasion to make sure that is indeed on. A lsimple light or drill or something that you know works, as it's hard to tell if the block heater is on or not.

As a reminder, now may be a good time to revisit your insurance policy to make sure you feel comfortable with the equipment out all season, being most keys seem to be generic.
  9. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Some PowerService winter diesel additive will help a little.
  10. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

The only thing we ever leave on site is the S300 with pusher or enclosed trailers for storage and never had a problem, the skid always starts. The new 550 we never leave anywhere except at my house plugged in if its cold or at my shop. We don't really worry about "thieves", i guess theres always a chance but we seem to have good relations in town with everybody. Knock on wood. I have a friend that owns alot of bobcats and has had a couple doors stolen off in the night. I always lock my door and the operators have a key to get in, although i think its the universal key on the bobcat doors but i could be wrong.
  11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

BC keys are universal......

You could go to a locksmith and have them rekeyed. We leave equipment out in several locations, thankfully we don't get much really cold weather here in NJ. We are fortunate to have 3 portable generators which we'll hook up for 30 mins and then we're all good. 2 of our sites have electric for us, one which we've had for a few years we negotiated the electirc use this way:

We hired an electrician to wire a lockable outlet box onto a light pole, the lights are on all night, and the tenant who has the timer in his space will turn them on if we need them during the day. Very nice to have electric for repairs, we really use the box more for repair stuff than to plug in for the cold.
  12. digit

digit Member

Try to keep real good batteries anti gel in the fuel and jumper cables just in case
  13. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

You just gave me a great idea of storing a portable generator in the trailer for on site electric. My fathers got a good one and doesnt use it much, and i'm sure he'll give it to me. We dont have much use for electric right now but its like anything else, im sure we'll find plenty of use for it if we had it. I can remember 2 times in particular it would of came in handy when the battery on the grizzly kept dying. I'm gonna add a battery charger in there too. As for the key, i never thought to have it rekeyed since i wasn't really sure if it was one-key-fits-all, but now that i know i'm definately gonna have that done asap. I can't imagine the doors being cheap and i'd like to hang on to mine, lol.
  14. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

starting fluid if its a rental!
  15. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Doors are RIDICULOUS......So bad that you probably wouldn't replace it. Even getting it rekeyed, if they want in, they'll break the glass. If there's a way to make sure they can't open it then just lift it out of the hunges that'd be the way to go.......

Once you have electric you'll wonder how you got by without it. Those little jumper box things are good too, especially for something like a quad or snow blower with electric start.

Little thought for you, those generators aren't cheap, be careful what you leave in a tralier long term. We had one that was in fenced yard (Shoprite in Lyndhurst) broken into last year, nothing much in it just calcium and a few shovels, they took the shovels..........If there were a generator I'm sure it would have been gone. We put the generators in the my truck and Jimmys truck so we can respond to any need, the third stays with our machanic.
  16. snowtech

snowtech Member

most clients dont hessitate to offer an outlet when we explain why we are asking for one.
  17. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Its definately something to think about. Its ashame that we have to worry about people stealing the equipment we work so hard for but its true, if they want it bad enough they'll find a way. I have a cheap $85 5 in 1 booster box that i think i'll feel better keeping in the trailer vs a couple hundred dollar generator. If i need the generator, i'll go back to my house and get it. An enclosed trailer made of sheet metal isn't exactly a fortress. Its bad enough worrying about the quad and snowblowers in it being stolen but something like a generator they can easily get out the side door even if the trailers backed up against something.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

someone needs to make something that cycles the block heater on and off... so it doesnt run all the time, but turns on at a certain temp and cycles every few hours..
  19. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Oh but they already do make such a thing...:D Cheap too - $20 :nod:
  20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i can't plug mine in and have found jumper cables to be futile at really cold temps. i bought the best jump box they make . It easily has juiced every machine fairly easy but it was close to 700.00 if i remember right