1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leave the Truck Running

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by soccerlawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

Hi, this may be a basic question for most, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure. I have 2006 Chevy 2500HD w/ the 6.0. After I am done with the main plowing and I get out of the truck to do any cleanup, should I leave the truck idleing or turn it off. Say under two minutes compared to 5-7 minutes, am I going to burn much gas?

2. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

You will burn the same amount of fuel. Keep it running, it also saves your starter.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My truck stays running constantly.....ran damn near 18 hours today! Just leave it on!

4. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

Leave it running...

I usually crack the windows about an inch and set the heater to mix defrost and floor mode with temp selsctor on hot. I do this to help dethaw (deice) my cowl and (more important) dry out the inside of the truck. This helps with fogging of windows, as mentioned in the rear window defrost thread.

Derek

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i never shut the truck off until i get home. this gives the alternator a chance to charge the battery and for the trans fluid to cool down

john

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Never turn the truck off. Another thing that wasnt mentioned was......what if you turn off the truck and it doesnt start back up again, for whatever ODD reason. Weird things happen right in the middle of snow storms. Like someone else said, let the battery charging system catch up with itself. Strobe lights, heater motor, headlights, radio, plow, that all puts strain on the electrical system.

7. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I never shut mine off until I get home for the reasons everyone has already mentioned. Sometimes it's running 20hrs. I use a spare key to lock truck while I make any pit-stops.
    And I carry spare keys for everything just incase one gets dropped in snow etc.

8. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense to me now.

One last thing, if your filling up at a gas station leave it running also?

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Never turn it off when plowing, alway turn off when filling with gas. I like a warm truck. Besides I do drop the plow and turn the remote control off. If they know what they are doing they can figure it out.

Regards Mike

10. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I never turn off when filling up. I always drop my plow when I'm going to be out of the truck for any length of time, and I always lock the doors too!! That's one reason I love keypad entry.

11. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

do yourself a favor and get a remote starter put in like i did warms truck up before i head out and then when i have to get out i just hit the button and turn the key off truck stays running and secure. as long as its under 20 minutes thats what i have my timer set at to shut truck off. works great for me.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Leave it running...
    If you have a working parking break use it...
    Put the tranny in "N" as most trannys will circulate fluid in "N" and cool then selves down..

They do not circulate fluid in park, thus it is difficult for the tranny to dissipate the heat that has built up..

I leave mine running , even when filling up and I get back into the cab also...
    I do touch the mettle on the pump before I touch the handle every time just encase any static electricity has built up....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  13. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I would definitly leave the truck running. For a few minutes, it dont make a lot of sense to keep stopping and starting the engine. A few minutes will be fine.

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

How can you get your truck to lock with the key in the ignition? It would be nice but mine wont let me do it!:D

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Key in ignition engine running,
    Open the door you can ether push the door lock button (powered) on the door or push the door lock down manually.
    The door lock on my remote will not lock the doors with it running but it will unlock them.

16. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I always leave mine running when we are in the thick of a storm...once day light breaks, and things get moving I will shut it off to fill up or something.

17. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Spare key works real cheap!!!! Also I leave running while I fuel. (diesel)

18. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Mine runs all the time, fueling up it idles. Diesel as well. I have an auto starter and the truck will idle for 35min. The remote is good for 2000 feet in perfect conditions so usually I can reset the timer if I will take a little longer.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If I'm gonna be outside the truck for more than 10 min or when refueling I shut it off.Other than that it stays running all the time.

20. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

in my town they passed a bylaw, that if your vehicle is left idling for more than 1 min, and a cop sees that, he will write you a ticket. this is done in effect with our towns environmental pollicy.