1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leave plow up or down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pjslawncare, Jan 9, 2004.

1. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Should I leave my plow in down position while truck is parked for some time (days, weeks). Will it hurt anything to leave it up?

2. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

HI there, I put my plow down when truck is PARKED.
    it saves on wearing on holding the plow up and keep it from fell on some body's foot..

if it was me I would put it down, much as when I am putting gas in truck I'd put it down so no one go nuts around the plow even I not watching.. Want pay a bill when some one has foot chop off?:gunsfiring:

3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Ever noticed how Aunt Hildas breasts have sagged over the years? Same thing will happen to your springs, drop the plow. :nod:

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Always put mine down.

Actually this was brought up a few weeks ago and i bet 85 to 90% of the replies said to put it on the ground.The front end will appreciate the break and so will your insurance company for not having to claim someone's limbs in case it decided to drop in the event of failure.I always put mine on the ground even going in for coffee or gassing up or whatever just makes a lot more sence to me.Better safe than sued!!

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

hold a 5 pound weight in your hand at arms length. thats what its doing to your trucks front end. the less time it has to support that weight the better. most trucks have more weight capacity for the rear axle so it isnt as important. :D :D

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not only do I put it down for short periods (gassing up), but if it's for "days or weeks", I'll put a couple of 2x6's under it to keep it off the ground so it doesn't sink in and freeze.

8. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Look in the manual for any piece of heavy equipment. Somewhere it will say, "Lower all working units to the ground before leaving the operators seat."

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Always put it down, no questions asked.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

A LOT harder to steal when they're up!

Especially a chain lifted plow!

There are a few lots around here that park dedicated old beat up trucks with plows on-site.

They're always about 2" off the ground.

That's so you cant just un-hook the chain pull the pins and slide it around and hook it to your truck.

Also, plow hoist bolts all had a gob of weld on the threads.

Oh, my plows are always DOWN when I'm not in the truck.

11. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

another vote for DOWN!:drinkup:

12. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Not that this makes a big difference but i want to say the plow could be a ground when your pumping gas. That means less chance of explosion because of a spark.:yow!: DON'T QUOT ME THOUGH I'm not a professional but i do think that its true.

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

mines always down when parked too much stress on the truck. If its not snowing its off the truck and in my garage.

14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Never thought about the explosion at the gas pump!!:eek:
    I always put mine down:waving:

15. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Down always, and if it's more than 2 day's between events, off the truck. However, I drive my truck daily. However if you only use it for plowing, I like the idea of sitting it on a 2x4 while parked for extended periods of time. Makes sense to me.

16. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I always let the plow down when the truck is parked, whether gassing up or parking the truck for extended periods of time. When the truck is parked for long periods I push the up/down ram all the way down. It prevents rust on the piston. The truck/plow assembly appreciates it. The up/down ram and springs get a rest.

As far as the plow falling on someones feet goes I donot agree. Common sense dictates that you stay away from danger/others property, etc. I feel that if someones feet get slammed by my plow than they deserve it. I know enough not to grab a running chainsaw by the bar, I know not to stick my hands into the blades of running mowers/snowblowers, I know not to look down the barrel of my loaded rifle, I know to look both ways before crossing a street, and I know not to go onto other peoples property when I am uninvited. It allcomes down to plain old common sense.

17. 04superduty

skmodmsl i agree with you, but unfortunately there are to many laws protecting the stupid. We need some chlorine in the gene pool.:D :D Most people understand what not to do, but a select few just are lost while others are looking to get a quick buck by sueing you. :gunsfiring: stupid people.

18. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Down, always Down. I have seen it happen to my trucks more than once. Some stupid person walks by my plow and grabs the blade guide flags, pulls them down and watches them fling back up. They even break them some times. If they are stupid enough to walk by my personal property and break it, then that just shows that most people don't have enough common sense to stay a way from your dangerous plow.-

19. 04superduty

that sucks lite1, you make them pay for the blade guides??

20. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

one person gave me $20.00 as i asked. A small kid broke another set, i was not going to even bother -had other things to do, and another set was broke, i never saw who it was.

I switched over to the Western economy guides for replacements, Have not had to replace them since.