1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs. Gerber---whats the best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crodog, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

I'm in the market for a new multi-tool to carry in the truck. I have had leathermans in the past, they somehow disappeared. which do you prefer and why?

2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Have both, Gerber by far. I guess the main thing is the tools lock in place. Problem is the spring breaks after a while, but have sent it in for free repair. Need to do it again. I'm using the Leatherman till then.
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Leatherman hands down, the newer tools have locks to keep things from folding back. The jaws are alot stronger on the Leatherman's also, I had a Gerber for about 2 days and broke the jaws bending a clothes hanger. Mine took a hit from a 36 volt 45 amp charge that welded the jaws to a solenoid, still works like new just doesn't look it. Oh and you can also have interchangeable screwdriver bits and even a screwdriver attachment.
  4. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

Gerber hands down I have one in the glove box of all my trucks and one rides my belt every day. I love the one handed opening and they just wont die. Plus the price is right.
  5. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

the wave

i suggest the leatherman wave, it is by far the best in its class, ive had mine for like 3 yrs and its still great
  6. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Leatherman super tool 200 here. Don't like how gerbers lock, or their blades, so I prefer the Leatherman. Plus the supertool is the right size for me, some of the others feel too small to me.
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The newer Leathermans may be better than the old ones. I had one that you unfolded insideout. and when using the pliers the handles cut into your hand. I lost it and have been using a Gerber for 6 years now. Gerber stands behind their products with a lifetime warranty.If it fails, just mail it to them and they send you a new one in a week.
  8. danno

danno Senior Member

So now after zig zaging back and forth, it`s Leatherman 4, Gerber 2.:dizzy:
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Exactly- I never could use the Leatherman- handles WAY too uncomfortable. Gerber was better thought out. I have 2 Gerber's. They have an additional tool kit for them for extra screwdriver bits and socket adaptor IF you need it- I don't., But Gerber has better steel in their knife blades- holds a better edge and they use real files (Nicholson) not fish scalers. Lifetime warranty is a major plus too.

This heavy equipment mechanic I know carries a Gerber 24/7- It's his tool of choice for work too. Would rather that than a normal set of pliers.
  10. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I've had a Gerber about 9 years now, use it all the time and no problems. Buddy has a Leatherman, the fold it inside out type, always cryin' about the handles digging into his palm. Gotta buy what works and feels best for you.
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Been using Gerbers for about 9 years now. Always have one on my belt. Bokre the jaws once, they replaced the jaws and gave me a new holster. The newer set I have(X-mas present), has replacable cutters on it. Sent it back when they got dull and got new cuttes and new holster then too.
  12. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

gerber hands down. Have owned a leatherman, schrade, Gerber. Love my gerber won't leave home without it.:drinkup:
  13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I feed my baby Gerber also. Much tastier and more fresh than Leather. Plus he has no teeth so he can't chew the leather.
  14. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

LMAO:drinkup: :drinkup:

Gerber here also!!!
  15. Bill_645

Bill_645 Junior Member

Leaterman Wave!
  16. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

For what it's worth....Leatherman. I like mine. I have the wave, and it's gotten me out of a jam more than a few times. No problem with the handles cutting into my hand.

Super versatile, and great history. JMHO.
  17. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Just to make things more difficult, I'll let you know that I started with a Leatherman, about 6 years and swore by it. After i had it for about a year, my parents bought my parents bought me a Victorinox multitool. I love it, and would choose it over a Leatherman in a heartbeat.
  18. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm on the fence , but probably like the leatherman most. I have had both and have broke both pliers and blades on them. Both companys have sent me a replacement free of charge. They are both a good tool , dont leave home without one.
  19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Leather man here.
    I have had the same one for about 8 years. It's replaced carrying a pocket knife. The things fixed and installed more stuff then I can remember.
    They cut into your hand because they are not meant to remove lug nuts and do heavy cutting.
  20. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

leatherman super tool (old school) here. Hopefully santa will bring me a new leatherman this christmas. My super tool has been to canada (7 day canoe trip) and across most of the USA with me. Never failed me yet. Other than the 1st day I had it (christmas when i was 12) I cut my knuck trying to close it.