1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leather seats

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Dec 8, 2006.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My wife has an '04 Tahoe. Hers has the tan colored leather seats. What does everyone use to clean/condition their leather seats in their trucks. The edge of the driver seat is turning light blue from the dye rubbing off of her blue jeans. I'm not sure if this will even come off but I'm sure someone else had this problem with their leather. Any suggestions?
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

nothing really works to be honest, ive tried everything, my seats are 2 years old now and look terrible, all crackely and look beat, GM has soft leather i guess. Zaino might take out the mark from the jeans, look for a cleaner.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The problem is not conditioning them enough and yes I think the leather in the GM trucks is a little thin.
  5. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Just got rid of my 02 Tahoe with that same light sand leather. I always use Lexol cleaner and conditioner. It had 90k miles when I got rid of it and it was JUST starting to show small signs of cracking. Really it's all how you get in and out of the truck..if you rub against it every time, it's going to wear much quicker for sure.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

simple, just tell her to take her jeans off before getting in the truck.
  7. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

Lexol cleaner and conditioner is great, actually all their products work well, although a little expensive. I also used murphy oil soap (the wood cleaner) it works well and you can use it on the dash too makes the truck smell nice, but if u use the murphy oil you need to condition the seats after cause it will dry them out
  8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I second that about the Lexol...Very good products. Trick is to be easy on them and use the conditioner all the time. Every month just a quick spray down and wipe up smoth and let it sit on there all night. Your seats will look great for a long time except for the vinyl side bolster there is something inside that is notorious to damage the drivers seat on the out side edge. ( this is from the local upholsters comments) The good news it the side is not leather and cost about 125 to have repaired with thicker material. I did mine in the 1999, after I had it done that they looked almost as great as new.
  9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I've got tan leather in my truck.

Lexol all the way. Make sure you get the cleaner and conditioner. Works great.
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

BTW... Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'm going to try the Lexol.

Well here is an update.... I went to get in her Tahoe this morning, I noramlly don't drive it, I found that the driveside seat has a 4-6" split in it on the side just above the seat switches. I'm f*&cking pissed. This is the 3rd GM truck we have had with leather and everyone of them has had splits and cracks in the leather in this same spot. We are off to the dealer this morning to get a new seat cover. No more GM leather for me. They know these seats are junk but will not do anything about it.
  11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I bet the piece is vinyal,, that's tha part I was talking about that's easy to fix. it's from sliding out of the seat down to the ground. there is somthing inside that is hard from the bolsters.
  12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Your right it is vinyl. The body shop manager said that its normal for that to crack. Good news is that its still under warranty and they are going to replace the bottom seat cover. I wish GM would just fix the damn thing right. This is my 3rd Chevy with this problem.