1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leasing a plow truck

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by TwoBrosLawn, Nov 21, 2009.

1. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

is it possible to lease a truck with plow just for the winter? I am in need a of.a bigger second teruck but my credit is maxed out...good credit but none avaliable to take out another loan.....any ideas

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Check with Hertz..There is a hertz rental near me that rents a plow truck witha salt dog salter in it....Worth a shot

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I got a price from Hertz once. I could have easily bought a nice used truck for what they wanted for rent.

It would probably be more economical to rent a tractor or endloader.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what i thought..It was worth a shot...

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Its good if you plan on buying it out... But sure gets expensive when you go to bring it back.... I found out the hard way.....

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

There are some guys that may have older trucks they no longer need. We rented a truck last year for a week when when of ours was in the repair shop. Ask around. You would just have to insure it, and pay a monthly fee.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I remember looking at Hertz a few years back :dizzy::dizzy: I could not believe the cost

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First off I'd be more concerned on how deep a hole your getting into.

2nd ,check with United rentals they do them to .

9. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

My problem is that I don't have the extra money to buy a used truck and I can't take out a loan, I found plenty nice truck for like 5-6K. Thanks for the advice, ill try to figure somthing out

10. grandview

I sure hope your not bidding scared or you'll never make it.

11. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Try United Rentals.

12. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Bidding scared???where did that come from....I'm asking about a bigger truck. I'm sold out for this year....bidding scared who said anything about bidding

13. grandview

Just the way I read your post. You need money to buy something so you maybe bidding stuff lower then you normally would do if you didn't need the money. I know a few years back United rentals was getting 600.00 a month for a truck with plow and salter on it.

14. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

It hasn't started snowing yet no money coming in

15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$600 is a pritty good deal. I thought Hertz was in the $1000.00 area

16. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Can you rent a skid loader instead? Or is there too much travel between accounts that require a truck?

You could also consider a sub until you generate enough revenue to look for an additional piece of equipment.

17. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

I got one big com. Account that I need the bigger truck for so I've been thinking of just subbing it out for now

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sub it out to someone with more then one vehicle, even if you have to give them 85/90% of the gross then you won't have to worry if they can get the job done or not an 10% "pure" profit is better then an irate customer or costs exceeding income. Particularly if you have just one truck stretched to the limit now.

19. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

That's what I'm gonna have to do, as far as subs how do I know who is gonna show up everytime and not screw me

20. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Ahhh, the million dollar question. Good luck with that. I've had good and I've had bad. No way of knowing until you build a report with them. I'd have a back-up plan ready to go either way.