1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Learning how to drive

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HD61CUIN, Sep 26, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I am kidding, I need some advice, I have a Western 8'6" on the front of my 86 F250. My question is should I drive with the blade up and angled if so which way or should it be straight? I have never handled a blade this large and it can be a handful, I have just been moving it around going to my mechanic in town for truck work and home.
  2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

You want it angled to the right.
  3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well learning how to drive includes learning how to search...I got the answers thanks
  4. willtill

willtill Junior Member

Ummm stupid question here, but I need to be sure.....

Angling the blade to the right means the right side of the blade is forward, and the left side is rearward......right? :eek:

-Will in Maryland
  5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Assuming your plow is hooked up properly, right angle should move the right side closer to the vehicle. The angle is determined from the driver's position. Right angle will push snow to the passenger side of vehicle, while left angle will push snow to the driver's side.

The rationale behind right angling the blade right is that you won't be pulled into a snowbank should you inadvertently hit one while traveling down the road.
  6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Also helps deflect wind*

7. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

another stupid question but why isnt it angled to the left if you are just driving around.. The right side of the plow would be up then so if you cut a turn to tight the plow wont go into the sidewalk making u crash or whatever it would do.. also their usually isnt anything to the right of you except another lane or a car... i know i am wrong, i was just woundering why it is angled to the right for driving around instead of the left.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

We angle all plows to the left, so that the left coner is low and near the truck. Wxcept for V-plows. These are set so that both wings are tucked back against the truck.
  9. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks for clearing that up for me, because when i drive down the road with my dad (who plows) everbody always has their plow angled to the right and it didnt make any sence to me.. I am to young to plow but i plan on being out their next year with you guys.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As noted, there are several reasons for angling the plow, but one major reason is that your truck is more likely to overheat if you drive with it "high and straight". Angling allows air to get to the radiator. If it's straight it will deflect air up and over the hood. There is no particular "right" way (right or left). It's just that drivers have learned to prefer one or the other for their own reasons. I drive with mine angled to the left. No reason, just how I started. I've heard it argued that having it angled to the left will throw you into oncoming traffic if it catches the pavement from bouncing. I've also had it argued that having it angled to the right, you would be more likely to catch on a curb.

I guess you can just take your pick of which you'd rather catch. Or - you could drive carefully and not do either.
  11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

According to the SIMA intro to plowing video, "the most commonly accepted method is also to angle the blade to the right, toward the curb to reduce the chance of hitting a snowbank and being pulled into it..."

Obviously, some others do things differently.
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im no expert, but im gonna put my 2 cents in here. :D I never keep it straight and high, ESPECIALLY on the highway where it gets hot real quick. Keeping it angled to the right brings the left side out and the left headlight "kind of" hits the back of the plow and doesnt light up the street that great at night. Keeping it angled to the right does risk hitting something on the shoulder of the road more easily like mentioned above and being drawn into it. What i do is angle it whichever way i feel more comfortable that day and where and what streets i know i will be driving on, if i know where im headed when i leave my house. What i also do is change the angle if and when im turning into a street and there is a parked car or a car pulling out of the same street and it seems kind of narrow. In other words, if im turning left into a street and it looks like its gonna be a close fit and there is something on that street parked next to the RIGHT curb where the passneger side of my truck will be riding next to, ill angle the plow RIGHT, as im doing the turn ,to bring the right side of the plow in close to the bumper, creating more room to get by. Now if i was turning right into a street and there was a car waiting to pull out near the left curb of the street i was pulling into, if it looked close or if that person was kind of far away from the curb, creating less room for me to make the turn, id angle the plow LEFT this time bringing the left side of the plow in towards the bumber. Believe me it makes sense when you are actually doing it, for anyone reading this and thinking, what in the hell is this weirdo talking about, LOL. Im sure some other plowers here do this as well. Anyone? Anyone? :waving: Mike
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2002
  13. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

i have seen that done alot and i guess you angle the plow when your driving which ever way you feel better with... and what you said about angeling the plow to make a corner makes alot of sence.
  14. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well I didn't mean to start anything but while I have here's one.

Turning right off street and there is a hill to climb ie driveway incline off of street. Turn plow right so as to not dig in? Meaning the right in so that it is closer to rt wheel not ahead of wheel contacting driveway.

Also my plow has some play up down horizontally....mmm how to explaing better...with blade raised and on either end of the blade I can see saw...that is the best desc I can give. It is not much but it does pivot...as long as it is not excessive that is correct?
  15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Uh... Yeah, what Mike said. :)

I'll change from right to left constantly depending on the situation. I'll even make a point of angling it in the direction that allows more room for *other* drivers making turns crossing in front of me at an intersection when I'm stopped.
  16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

HD61, no trouble, you can ask all the questions you want and someone here will try their best to help you. Great site. Now about your other question, when i pull into a driveway with the plow on and raised, i pull in on an angle. If im pulling into a driveway on the right like u mentioned, ill angle the plow full left so the right side sticks up higher and misses rubbing the ground and pull in on an angle so the right front tire goes up before left front tire. I do this cause i have a Chevy truck that sags somewhat with the plow raised so therefor i attack at an angle, hehe. If i pull straight in something having to do with the plow contacts the ground, depending on how the steep the entrance to the driveway is. Hope i helped and feel free to ask any question you want or still have, but please, nothing about girls, im still tryin to figure them out myself, HAHAHAHA. Mike
  17. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well arent we all trying to figure them out. Well it seems that there is no one spot to leave your plow blade. You have to definately think faster and drive slower to navigate that hunk o metal in front of you. I have driven plow trucks before...just not one with a blade as large as mine 8'6". So this will be a interesting plow season and a white christmas.
  18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I travel with the blade angled left, my feeling is in the event of a head on accident, the oncoming vehicle would be deflected rather than pulled in. I keep enough clearance between myself and the snowbanks not to be concerned with them.
  19. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I keep it angled to the right because I got sick and tired of the homeowners who would chuck the snow from their driveway into the street. In the dark at night in a driving snow these 1 foot ridges can reak havoc if your not expecting them. Now if I see one coming I drop the plow and throw the snow back were it came from. I have also seen cars infront of me hit these and loose control and slam into snowbanks. Thankfully that is all I have seen but imagine if there was a family walking down the side of the road pulling a little kid on a sled becuase the walkways were not plowed yet. Even though it is illegall to throw snow into the street people still do it around here:nono:
  20. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I generally keep the blade angled in part due to reasons mentioned above, but also because I believe based on the facial reactions of oncoming drivers that a blade tucked into your driver's bumper seems less intimidating to oncoming traffic and they are less likely to have a knee jerk reaction. People can't gauge the width of the uncoming blade and think since it's sticking out at them they'll hit it. This normall happens when you've got a parked vehicle on an undived two way street and two moving vehicles are passing one another by the parked vehicles.