1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

learning curve, need help bidding.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ohara192, Jan 28, 2013.

1. ohara192

ohara192 Junior Member

New to the site.
    i was recently appoached by a customer of mine who iv done work for for years now at his 2 houses, he now wants me to put in a bid for his industrial park. i am a one man show with all residential plow accounts, this is my first year plowing on my own,as i used to work for a local company. This would be a seasonal contract that entails snow removal & sanding. Being so young, living in NH With no experiance on bidding this kind of lot i wanted to see what kind of feed back i would get.
    i plow with a f350 powerstroke and a 8.5' stainless fisher v plow.
    considering a skid with a push box or an enclosed cab tractor.

the industrial park consists of 4 connecting lots, 4 entrances and plenty of places to push snow. all pavement and most cars are out of the way between the hours of 5p.m and 7 a.m.

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Hoo boy! That is a BIG job!

If all you use is a pickup and a 8.5 V you'll be 3+ hours doing one complete push..probably more than that. I'd call it 4 hours...I would want $150 an hour (It's what I make on commercial lots here) so $600 per complete push. Then another $400 to sand/salt..so $1K every time I push and sand...then multiply that by 20 pushes a year @ a 3" trigger...and then add $1K for insurances...

I'd say ballpark $21,000 a year.

If you win it, you really need a wheel loader and a 14' pusher...

Good luck!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How many plows per season? How much snow you get?
  4. ohara192

ohara192 Junior Member

based anywhere from 16-20 storms a season, in nh our winters are unpredictable, 2010-2011 we got pounded with snow, 2011-2012 we didnt have much at all, i tried looking up old snow accumulation records quickly via google and couldnt come back with any good sources.
  5. ohara192

ohara192 Junior Member

Thank you for the input, im working on some numbers to get a machine on site with a pusher, i believe the place is just a bit too overkill for my truck and plow.
    Would love to here more peoples input.
  6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

One of my church parking lots is bigger than that and I can do it in 1.5hrs with an inch. 3 hours with 7 inches. Of course, I am using a Blizzard plow.