1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Learned how to plow with very little power.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by D Mack, Feb 14, 2010.

1. D Mack

D Mack Member
    from L.I N.Y

I'm still new to plowing. I do some work for a friend when he gets backed up. The other night he called me to work. I got there and he told me to take it easy dont try to push too much the turbo wasn't working in the truck I was going to use. (F-450) So I learned that you don't need to force the snow with high rpm's. I learned to use the trucks weight and momentum to push with. I think this way is a lot easier on the whole truck. It is slower but next time I go out, and the truck is fixed, I will try to use less engine power than I have been and more momentum.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And yet some guys still haven't figured that out.
  3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Some things will never change;)
  4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That what I did and got 7.98 mpg by drive easy on it. Company's owner get 4 mpg with F250 it exact truck I have.

There no reason to rev 3k rpm to 6k rpm.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always thought it was best to get up to about 4,000 rpms, and see if you can hit 20mph in a 50 foot driveway. I guess I learned something new today, lol.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Haha prob a brand new F450 with a busted turbo already.

Oh, and thanks for the newsflash.
  7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Coming from a dodge guy :laughing: That turbo will cost a lot less than a full built trans :dizzy:
    Just giving you crap, all trucks have there strong and weak points but I have not heard of many turbo problems on 6.4's and I have been around quite a few.
  8. JDiepstra

Dodge fixed most of their trans problems with the 48RE years ago. 68RFE is even better. Full billet isn't needed until you get up to 600 hp or so, which is pretty easy with a Cummins. ;)
  9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

so i don't have to neutral drop it every time i push snow?
  10. rob_cook2001

I agree a full billet is not need until 600hp but the 48re is far from trouble free. I have personally killed 3 48RE's with just a smarty JR. The 68RFE does seam to be holding together pretty well. sorry to get off track guys. O one more poke... a 6.4 will make 600hp easier than a cummins :}
  11. rob_cook2001

Wrong, keep neutral dropping but just when backdragging hahah
  12. JDiepstra

I promise you there are at least 10 times as many 600+ hp Cummins as there are 6.4's. Probably 50 times as many. And when's the last time someone took a Cummins out of a Dodge and put in a Powerstroke?

And why do a neutral drop when you can just bang it straight from R to D? :drinkup:
  13. rob_cook2001

I didn't say there are not more 600hp cummins out there then powerstrokes but the 6.4 has only been out for a little less than 3 years. No one swaps anything into a dodge because it's a tin can wrapped around a great motor. I put a cummins in my ford so I could have the best of both worlds :}
    sorry to the original poster lol
  14. JDiepstra

Disagree. Mine turned 100,000 recently and the only problems I have had are fuel pump (fixed free under warranty) and a few u-joints.