1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Learned a good trick for plowing gravel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hobo2, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Hobo2

Hobo2 Junior Member
    from Utah

I've been plowing now for three years, and contrary to what many think here who also had their first day (I find the newbie section a bit insulting), some of us newbies are smart (as apposed to what I've heard some of the old plowing hands do here), clever, and have run all sorts of heavy equipment, which in comparison, running a plow is child's play ;). Which brings me to my discovery... sorry for the sarcasm.

See, I found this site because I do have many gravel driveways to plow, as well as asphalt and concrete, but the gravel driveways were the ones giving me the most trouble. So I came here to find a solution. I found that some guys were slitting pipe and covering over the end of their cutting bladed so as not to scrape up all of the gravel as they plowed. This sounded logical, it works but in practice its not a good fix and I found back-dragging is still better.

Anyway, I found out that a thick piece of rubber (1" is best, but 1/2" may work for a while) mounted in place of your cutting edge works fantastic on all surfaces except for hard-packed snow. This year has been so much easier, I can push snow forward all day long on gravel without fear of ripping it up, unless the gravel is very deep and thawed (nothing but back-dragging works there, but the rubber even works well for back-dragging). This setup also scrapes concrete driveways right down to the cement without any fear of scraping. Plus, this rubber is strong enough to plow asphalt roads with no noticeable were. You can drop your plow (no skids) right one the ground and concentrate on plowing, not what you may be digging up, its great!

PS. I know some will ask... I got my rubber from a mine, it was a discarded heavy conveyor-belt. I got it for free, however, I had to make a plate to bolt the rubber down on the front out of some flat steel, that cost me $30.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

3. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

Im glad im not the only one here like this!!

That being said, you should upload a pic, helps with the visual :)

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Push boxes are set up like that.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The Newbie thread was started because (I think) there were multiple, very green guys asking the SAME questions over and over. Also allowed them a specific place to ask common knowledge questions. With that said rubber cutting edges is nothing new. There a many companies that make them. Thick Poly/plastic blades have been used for years as well.

Welcome to the site! After 3 years I don't think youre really a "Newbie" :)

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed........

8. Hobo2

Hobo2 Junior Member
    from Utah

Oh I was just getting back at some of the condescending remarks I had read, like snocrete's. I figured if they can post them they should be able to take them... no harm meant. ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. Hobo2

Hobo2 Junior Member
    from Utah

I will post some photos as soon as I can.

10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I know a few guys around here that use exactly what you describe for cutting edges.....conveyor belt rubber.

One thing though, why not just use an old, worn out cutting edge for mounting the rubber edge?

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

had to shake some salt at a few places last night around 10.
    Friggin skid we load salt with gelled up right when I was done dumping the last bucket in...stalled out with the bucket hanging out over 1 of the trucks :dizzy:

none taken :waving:

12. Hobo2

Hobo2 Junior Member
    from Utah

Good idea, however I think it would need to be very worn out so it wouldn't hang past the back frame at all, or the flexibility of the rubber would be compromised.

My son has the truck right now, when I get it back I'll post some photos. Like I said, this works very well, and the guy I got the idea from has been using his for 5 years without needing to change it. I do think when I do need to change it I will get it wider strip so I can adjust it down if needed.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That's what I was thinking OP must lead a shelter life

My self my ultra mount V plow does a super job on gravel drives I only have 3 and one of them is my house drive. I never had go clean up rock out of customer lawns

14. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The rubber would be sandwiched between the old cutting edge and the moldboard, so when pushing forward, I don't see how it could affect the flexibility at all. Obviously the less worn the cutting edge, the more effective life you'd have with the rubber though.